Front-end Jobs nearAustin, TX
Jobs farther away
Front End Developer
Front End Developer - 90183
Organization: EB-Environ Genomics & Systems Bio
Berkeley Lab’s Environmental Genomics & Systems Biology Division (https://biosciences.lbl.gov/divisions/egsb/) has an opening for a Front End Developer to work with the KBase (https://kbase.us/) team. Designed to meet the key challenges of systems biology (predicting and ultimately designing biological function), KBase integrates numerous biological datasets and analysis tools into a unified, extensible system that allows researchers to collaboratively generate and test hypotheses about biological functions. The project’s long-term goal is to help researchers to understand how plants and microbes interact with and affect each other and environmental processes and how these interactions could be harnessed for sustainable bioenergy and environmental solutions.
The Front End Developer will design, develop, and install software solutions for computational biology applications. The Front End Developer will be able to build high-quality, innovative and fully performing software in compliance with coding standards and technical design. In addition, the Front End Developer will have opportunities to work on a wide range of software development tasks, including user interface design, data integration, database and software interface design, and high-performance computing and bioinformatic algorithm development.This position should also be comfortable working in a collaborative, team-oriented environment, especially using Agile approaches such as Scrum, Kanban or rapid application development. This position requires self-starters who can operate independently, learn new material rapidly and be willing and/or able to develop as full stack and polyglot developers.
This position will be hired at a level commensurate with the business needs; and skills, knowledge, and abilities of the successful candidate.
What You Will Do:
• Work with other KBase project members to implement software to meet stakeholder needs.
• Work closely with users of the analysis software to ensure that their needs are being met.
• Work with users to test and debug applications.
• Prepare presentations and papers for internal use, conferences, and peer-reviewed publication. Maintain accurate documentation and source-code control for all work-products.
• Execute full lifecycle software development.
• Write well-designed, testable, efficient code.
• Produce specifications and determine operational feasibility.
• Integrate software components into a fully functional software system.
• Develop software verification plans and quality assurance procedures.
• Document and maintain software functionality.
• Tailor and deploy software tools, processes and metrics.
• Comply with project plans and industry standards.
What is Required:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering and a minimum of 2 years related experience; or an advanced degree without experience; or equivalent work experience.
• Experience with modern practices of open collaborative software development, including code review, the GitHub pull request model, etc.
• Experience in designing interactive applications.
• Experience with NoSQL databases such as MongoDB, Lucene, SOLR or ElasticSearch.
• Demonstrated high analytical skills and programming skills (highest preference for Java or Python but open to C/C++).
• Familiarity with Agile software practices (e.g., Scrum, Kanban).
• Familiarity with software engineering practices that include testing, documentation, source code management and release procedures.
• Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with programmers, engineers, postdocs, graduate students, and undergraduates from diverse backgrounds.
• Front end design and/or development using JQuery, Single Page WebApp frameworks like React, visualization libraries such as D3.
• Excellent writing, interpersonal communication, and analytical skills.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
• Master’s degree or higher in bioinformatics, computational biology, microbiology, bio or chemical engineering discipline or a software related degree program.
• Experience with Jupyter Notebook, Docker.
• Experience working under minimal direction:
• Evaluate and make recommendations from a list of technical alternatives based on ease of use, technical merit and stability.
• Experience with cluster computing environments such as Amazon EC2 or Batch Execution environments such as found in high performance computing clusters.
• Experience in bioinformatics software design and engineering, mathematical analysis and comparative and functional genomics.
• Experience with developing applications to display/visualize scientific (preferably biological) data.
• Experience with scientific analysis tools such as Matlab, R, or Mathematica.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled.
• This is a full time, 2 year term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• Classification will depend upon the applicant's level of skills, knowledge, and abilities. (For dual postings - add this to the position summary at the end of the paragraph) This position will be filled at the Developer 1 or Developer 2 level, dependent on experience.
• M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
• Work will be primarily performed at: Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=181257 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
The Department of Energy Systems Biology Knowledgebase (KBase, https://kbase.us/) is a software and data platform designed to meet the grand challenge of systems biology: predicting and designing biological function. KBase integrates data and tools in a unified graphical interface so users do not need to access them from numerous sources or learn multiple systems in order to create and run sophisticated systems biology workflows. Users can perform large-scale analyses and combine multiple lines of evidence to model plant and microbial physiology and community dynamics.
KBase is the first large-scale bioinformatics system that enables users to upload their own data, analyze it (along with collaborator and public data), build increasingly realistic models, and share and publish their workflows and conclusions. KBase aims to provide a knowledge base: an integrated environment where knowledge and insights are created and multiplied.
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities.To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab- Click Here (https://hr.lbl.gov/).
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/PayTransparencyNondiscrimination.html).Click here (https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory encourages applications from women, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently considering scientific research careers.Apply