Front-end Jobs nearBoston, MA
Job title: Senior Frontend (Typescript, React/React Native) developer
Type: Remote, permanent, full-time position
Do you have a soft spot for profitable companies with a meaningful, globally used and loved product? Would you like to work within a compact, super-capable team in a refreshing work environment? Would you like to work on an application that is changing the way we learn and communicate? Drops could be the place for you.
Our goal at Drops is to ensure effective language learning through a delightful, seamless, gamified experience. We strive to be the #1 app for vocabulary learning. Our app has been live on the App Store for 4 years, covering 42 languages, serving over 27 million users across the globe and has been featured on both the App Store (App of the Day) and Play Store (App of the Year in 2018). Drops has also been featured by TechCrunch, FastCo, Forbes, CNN, Bloomberg, VentureBeat and many, many more. In short, we’re a tiny but very powerful team spread (mostly) across Europe, achieving great things the remote way! In December 2020, Drops was acquired by Kahoot!, the world’s leading game-based learning platform
Check us out here: https://languagedrops.com
You’re a no-nonsense person, comfortable taking on a variety of projects who has been working within product companies and has extensive front-end development experience.
You’ve spent years working with React and have experience in React Native with a deep understanding of the internal workings be it working within the browser or a mobile client. You enjoy the challenge of growing a product from an (already) large user base to a larger one with tens of millions of MAU with all the complexities it comes with.
You are an advocate for static typing and prefer to use a minimal set of simple tools over a diverse range of complex ones.
You believe variety is the spice of life - In this role, you’ll be developing a complex app deployable to web and app stores, a static site generator, building internal automation infrastructure/tooling and contributing to our internal CMS. You could also be working on our fully serverless architecture on the backend if you feel comfortable doing so.
Drops is a deliberately small, but super effective team. You’re naturally drawn to the fate of the products & driven to grow as an engineer rather than to manage people.
You’ll be a core part of the development team, working on both our main (Drops) and auxiliary products (Droplets, Visual Dictionary, Internal CMS tooling). Drops values clear, honest communication and transparency. It’s the linchpin of our culture, success and freedom. You’ll be involved in both high and low level decision making and are available during European working hours (10AM - 6PM CET). Remember, we’re looking for a missionary here rather than a mercenary.
Work cross functionally with our lead designer / data analyst / engineers / project owner to define, scope, estimate and plan various aspects of the product.
Work independently (and with other engineers!) to develop new web experiences
Support of production applications / sites that you’ve built or helped to build
Communicate effectively and often to ensure that everyone is aligned
What’d be different here:
We’re a small team. We’re optimising for impact, not for headcount. You’ll be carefully considering any tradeoff that would lead to increased complexity
We’re using a single programming language - TypeScript. We have strict linter rules Every pull request needs to be approved before it lands in master. We use the rebase workflow and we release a few times a week
We’re using React + Redux to develop UI, on both mobile and the web. We use selectors extensively. Our backend is on AWS, deployed multi-region to Lambda and using RDS for our DB
We are BIG on AB testing. We focus on releasing high impact projects and minimise noise
We’re doing things in a functional way, concentrating state, minimising side effects and making dependencies explicit. We’re sharing 98%+ of the code between Android, iOS and Web
We automate where it has positive ROI
Our biggest challenge is (and will remain) managing the complexity of sharing a lot of code between different apps
At least 5 years of experience in software (product) development
At least 2 years of experience in building apps with React or React Native with state management tools (redux, flux, etc)
Experience architecting and developing complex web or mobile apps and static sites
Some experience in understanding basic user funnels, and collaborating with support to resolve user-facing issues
Project management experience (everyone manages projects at Drops)
Strong verbal and written communication skills
The ability to work well cross-functionally
Experienced in strongly typed languages
🌍 All the perks of remote working
👥 An awesomely compact 20 person team
🧠 Yearly educational allowance
💪 Fitness allowance
💻 High-end Apple hardware and ergonomic accessories
🏖 36 days of holiday per year
✈️ Quarterly team gathering somewhere in the world (Amsterdam, Iceland, Lisbon and Budapest were previous locations)
Apply now and work remotely at DropsApply
Senior Backend Software Developer
At Jungle Scout, we are on a mission to empower entrepreneurs and brands to grow successful e-commerce businesses, and we provide the industry-leading data, powerful tools, and resources they need.
- Do you get excited working with talented engineers, leading them to ship product features and enhancements, and helping them thrive in their career?
- Do you define a great day as getting sh*t done and having fun working with your team?
- Do you have a thirst for breaking down complex initiatives into achievable project plans?
- Do you thrive when you're contributing to a high-performing, humble team?
Amazing, then you’re the type of person we’re looking for!
We’re growing and we are looking to add a Senior Backend Engineer to the Engineering team focused on building Jungle Scout’s enterprise SaaS product.
Where would this person be located? Great question! We’re a remote-first company and hope to hire this Senior Software Engineer Team anywhere between the EST - PST timezone
Interested in learning more? Let’s get into the details:
What you will be doing:
Architect and build:
- Highly scalable, fault-tolerant, elastic, and secure services
- Large scale distributed systems
- Applications that are a composition of independent services (microservices)
Make recommendations around:
- Technologies to be used for new services and applications
- Improvements on existing services and applications
Scale, maintain and improve:
- Existing codebases and system infrastructures
- Independent services using CI/CD and multiple environments stages (e.g., staging vs. production) to ensure rapid delivery while maintaining high quality and availability
Participate and contribute in:
- Leading the technical architecture and delivery of complex projects, interfacing with product, design, and multiple engineering teams
- Helping product managers with project planning and facilitating the Scrum process
- Ongoing improvement of engineering practices and procedures
Who you are:
- You’ve done this before.
- Have built enterprise-level services with popular backend frameworks (e.g., Ruby on Rails, NodeJS, Spring, Django, Flask, etc)
- You have experience building data-driven systems that have high availability, optimize for performance, and are highly scalable
- You’re experienced with modern SQL and NoSQL databases, know when to use each, and can build performant systems on top of each
- You’re an AWS Cloud Wizard.
- You’re an AWS cloud ninja and you have experience building cloud-native services at scale
- Experience working with core AWS services like EC2, RDS, DynamoDB, Elasticsearch, ElasticBeanstalk, Lambda, Cloudwatch, SQS, Kinesis and SNS.
- You’re a master communicator & passionate mentor.
- Fluent in both written & verbal English to easily chat with our North American teams.
- Able to communicate effectively, clearly, and concisely on both technical and non-technical subjects.
- Take any chance you can get to share knowledge with your team.
- Contribute to the team’s documentation and mentor teammates in an open, respectful, flexible, empathetic manner.
- Do not shy away from taking and giving feedback.
- You’re autonomous.
- Successfully execute large multi-person projects and well-defined initiatives from definition through to the end.
**Working at Jungle Scout
Check us out!
- The BEST team.
- Remote-first culture.
- International Retreats.
- Access to Jungle Scout tools & experts.
- Performance Bonus.
- Flexible Vacation.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits & Retirement Program.
**We prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
At Jungle Scout, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger.
Jungle Scout is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
All offers of employment at Jungle Scout are contingent upon clear results of a comprehensive background check. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates prior to start date.
Apply now and work remotely at Jungle Scout
Senior Software Engineer
Be the Engineering Manager who amplifies your team’s ability in a startup improving learning experiences for thousands of people.
Join our remote organisation as our next Engineering Manager and empower a cross-functional group of people to build an Education SaaS that educators and students love. Build a healthy and diverse team where brilliant engineers stay, not just because of Aula, but because of you.
We’re looking for someone who can lead in our engineering department with their vision, while enabling others to grow into strong leaders themselves. You’ll have the opportunity to work with a talented team on something bigger than yourself - building software in education that empowers teachers, learners, schools and universities.
- Full remote permenant role > £80,000 - £120,000
- User focused SaaS product built in two week sprints in a React, Redux, Node.js, MongoDB, AWS Lambda/serverless environment.
- Grow a healthy, diverse Engineering team to increase educator love for our platform.
Aula is building a community-first product that brings together students and educators in a digital environment to interact and collaborate.
As an organisation we are Remote First. Our rituals allow us to have a team based all around the world and deliver excellently engineered solutions to complex user problems.
As an Engineering Manager, you will build a healthy, diverse and user focused team that delivers features and products that help us achieve our mission to enhance the way the world learns.
Technically we are a team that makes elegant solutions to large scale learning problems. We work in two week sprints, we architect, build and deploy the product that users enjoy using.
Aula is the Learning Experience Platform (LXP) for higher education.
We make it easy for educators to create community-first learning experiences that truly engage students. By combining easy-to-use technology with evidence-informed learning design, we save educators time while better supporting students’ success.
We’re a 40-person fully remote team spread across the globe from Nebraska to Pakistan.
- Manage 5-13 engineers, build relationships, be a coach, set goals and provide candid feedback.
- Be accountable for engineering decisions for your Product Area. Provide technical leadership.
- Work collaboratively with Product Managers and Designers to determine project scopes and timelines. Manage the execution of those projects.
- Create a welcoming and inclusive atmosphere, inviting all voices to be heard.
- Grow the team by driving our hiring processes and modelling Aula’s standards for interviewing.
- Become an amplifier of the impact of your team.
- Own the quality, performance, consistency and stability across platforms: desktop web, iOS & Android.
- Be user centric: attend user interviews and measure success based on user metrics.
- Commit to high-speed iterations, high code quality, and continuous improvement via agile processes.
About the team
Our Product Development team is made up of designers, engineers and product managers. We work closely with our data team and product support to ensure what we are building is loved.
We are a small engineering team who build a complex product with messaging, content editing and assessments used by huge academic institutions.
Our virtues are what makes Aula as an organisation unique.
Our commitment to diversity and inclusion should not be mistaken with building an organisation where 8 billion people would thrive. We lean into what makes Aula unique: we’re building an organisation where high performing people are silly ambitious about improving education - at scale.
We judge our virtues by what we do, not what we say.
Our virtues are
🚀 Silly Ambitious
🔍 Uncomfortably Focused
🗣 Transparent by Default
What you need to do the Job
We’re looking for someone who is deeply technical but also has experience managing engineering teams at product companies like ours.
- 2+ years managing engineering teams.
- Experience building products end to end, ideally within a SaaS company.
- Success in building and managing a diverse, high-performing engineering team, comfortably owning hiring and tough conversations.
Nice to have:
- Proven track record of working and communicating effectively with Product Managers, Design, Data and Support.
- Product mindset. Ability to break down work into deliverables that bring value to users.
- Experience as a hiring manager, owning the hiring process and attracting talent who succeed at Aula.
You approach everything you do proactively and are always looking for ways to improve and innovate. You understand that this is a small team in a startup that is scaling and are excited to contribute to the Aula story.
Apply today with your CV and cover letter and our team will get in touch with you as soon as possible.
###Still not convinced this is the right job for you?
A fair chance
Every role in the Aula team is open to applications from all sections of society. We believe in the superpowers and potential of everyone; regardless of race, religion or belief, ethnic origin, different physical ability, family structure, socio-economics, age, nationality or citizenship, marital, domestic or civil partnership status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other difference that makes you, well, you.
More than just encouraging your application, we’re committed to conscious inclusion that (we hope) cultivates an ethos of belonging, connection and shared purpose. It’s this philosophy that drives us towards our mission, and we open our doors to those who share these motivations.
P.S - Our team are growing fast, we are also hiring Software Engineers, Product Managers and many more awesome people. Check out our careers page to see all our open positions
Apply now and work remotely at Aula