Front-end Jobs nearLehi, UT
Full Stack Developer
Welcome Computer Gurus!
At Shipa we look to build a talented technology team of developers and data scientists to help us achieve our lofty business goals. Culture is very important to us, and we want an environment where everyone is learning every day in both technical and personal areas. We have extremely high expectations and expect our employees to use their empowerment to take end-to-end responsibility for problems, and wear a variety of hats, even when they may not experience in the area needed.
The Senior Full Stack Web Developer will work with the Shipa business and technical teams to understand requirements and help develop responsive web based applications in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment to support the delivery of an intuitive Shipa user experience. We want this role to be filled by someone who is passionate about solving problems, a team player and a mentor to the Junior Web Developers in the team, and is excited about working in a corporate start-up environment and building up a great culture in a growing team, yet, conscious of the potential downsides of working in a corporate start-up environment too.
- Design and develop multi-tier web applications for customers using open source technologies; envisioning system features and functionality
- Enhance and support e-commerce and mobile sites as well as sales, intranet and web applications that support Shipa business activities
- Design, develop, maintain and enhance systems based on business requirements using approved technologies and coding standards
- Collaborate with various departments to gather accurate specifications for new enhancements and applications
- Monitor and optimize systems to ensure best performance
- Translate requirements and use cases into technical designs and functional code
- Monitor routine content changes and ensure accuracy of content data feeds
- Identify website issues, gather information and determine recommended solution
- Create and present multiple technical solutions that show thoughtful approaches to strategy and issue resolution
- Maintaining web development documentation, testing cases and specifications
- Act as a mentor to other developers with programming issues
- Bachelor’s Degree in Design, Computer Science, or relevant field
- 5 to 7 years’ experience of developing websites, preferably with a transportation, international shipping, or an e-commerce business
- Sound understanding of best practices in software development (e.g. Agile, SCRUM, DevOps)
- Experience using node.js to build scalable web services
- A diverse set of skills, from business development and operations to socializing and support to apply widely
- Ability to communicate with multiple internal and external stakeholders, both regionally and globally, across multiple business units and functions
- Ability to understand the priorities of key stakeholders and translate them into team priorities and communications
- Passion for collaboration & team work; when something goes wrong, you don't look to place blame, but try to address the immediate issue collaboratively and then address any underlying issues with great interpersonal skills
Apply now and work remotely at Shipa Freight
What We Do
Overleaf is a startup and social enterprise that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. We have over six million registered users from around the world. Our primary product is an online, real-time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Who We Are
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of about forty with fifteen developers, based mainly in and around the UK and in the US. We were recently recognised as one of the UK's top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS Awards Program.
Overleaf is based on open source software, and most of our product code is itself open source. You can find it on GitHub: https://github.com/overleaf/overleaf (note: most activity is in the repos linked from there).
We run a mainly Node.js back end using MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Redis. We use a microservices architecture, with about a dozen services. On the front end, we mainly use Angular v1 and are incrementally migrating to React.
We're hosted on Google Cloud Platform using Google Kubernetes Engine. We use Docker to manage our development environments. We support continuous delivery and typically deploy at least a few times a day (less on Fridays).
How We Work
Overleaf is remote-first --- all founders and staff work remotely. We also have an office in Farringdon for those in the London area, and when the pandemic settles down we'll again get the whole team together in London a few times a year for face-to-face time.
We encourage flexible working. Our core hours are 2pm–5pm UK time, during which our development teams have 10–15 minute daily standup calls. We have few standing meetings for developers, but we do many smaller video or voice calls for pairing or within teams.
We always collect user feedback to inform our work. We have UX professionals on our team, and we run many surveys and user interviews.
We organize our work with Kanban. We use GitHub pull requests for each feature with code review to share knowledge and best practices (and catch bugs). We test thoroughly with automated unit and acceptance tests, supported by continuous integration (CI). We're also fans of linting to minimise bike-shedding (and to catch bugs).
About This Role
We plan to add two developers to our team, both with a backend focus. Experience with some of Node.js, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis or Kubernetes is desirable. We are also particularly interested in meeting you if:
- you'd be interested in taking up a team lead role in the not too distant future, or
- you have experience with setting up data pipelines for web analytics and/or business intelligence.
Key projects on our road map this year include:
- Improve our B2C conversion metrics and monitoring — we'll be setting up a new web analytics system to generate insights we need while continuing to respect user privacy
- Consolidate our two project history systems — we currently have two from our integration with ShareLaTeX in 2017, each with hundreds of TB to be consolidated
- Make our project PDF preview faster and less bandwidth hungry — we have prototypes showing big wins that now need productionizing
Here are some examples of projects (large and small) we've recently completed:
In the longer term, we are planning projects around improved collaboration features for teams, improvements to our rich text mode, and more.
How We Hire
The stages in our hiring process are typically:
We will aim to update you on the status of your application within 14 days from when we receive it.
We'll follow up by email (or sometimes schedule a phone call) with any questions we have about your application, usually around logistics, your ambitions and your expectations about the role.
We'll schedule a more in-depth interview, which is typically two hours long. The first hour is discussion, and the second hour is technical. For the technical, you'll have the option of either completing a homework assignment, which requires about one hour of your time before the interview, or solving a problem in the interview, if you prefer. The problems are practical in nature (no fizz-buzz or reversing linked lists), and you can use Google, man pages, etc., and ask us questions.
We'll make an offer. We usually interview in batches, so there may be a short delay while we interview other candidates, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
If you have a deadline, please let us know in your application, and we will try to be accommodating.
We require that you:
- have a minimum of 2–3 years of relevant experience (we aren't taking on more new graduates at the moment).
- will work for us full time (or nearly full time).
- will usually be available in our core hours, 2pm–5pm UK time.
Applicants in the UK, Europe, US and Canada are preferred.
Experience with the technologies we use is always a plus, but you don't need to know them all; your ability to learn is much more important to us.
- Remote and flexible working.
- Salary £40k–£75k per year depending on experience.
- You would join a small, dedicated and growing team.
- We're substantially (around 80%) open source, so your work will often be on open source code.
- We're backed by Bethnal Green Ventures (https://bethnalgreenventures.com/) and Digital Science (https://www.digital-science.com/), through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- Our London office is shared with several other Digital Science companies, so there's lots of interesting people to meet, and clubs and sports activities outside of work.
- We get everyone together in London for team meetings several times a year for valuable face-to-face time (pandemic permitting).
- You can pick your own equipment. MacBook Pro? Lenovo ThinkPad? Notebook and pen? However you like to work, we'll provide what you need.
- We provide a training budget; many of our developers choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
- We run quarterly remote hackathons to keep learning and experimenting.
- We run a weekly internal seminar series with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply now and work remotely at Overleaf
Software Engineer 6 month FTC
The short version ⏳
Mission: As part of the Product Team, use your development skills to solve the most important problems for Aula users in a reliable and scalable way.
How: As part of an agile team, work closely with other engineers, product managers, our data lead, and a designer to deliver and maintain lean technical solutions that deliver maximum impact to our users. We use React, Redux, Node, AWS, serverless, MongoDB, and ship to web, iOS, and Android.
## What is Aula? 🐝
Aula is the Learning Experience Platform for Higher Education (product video). Aula makes it easy for educators to create high quality hybrid learning experiences by combining easy-to-use technology with learning design capabilities.
We're a 35-person remote team spread across the globe from Nebraska to Pakistan. Meet our
Read our company handbook here:
## About you 👨🏽🚀🕵🏻♀️👩🏾🏫👨💻
We’re excited to tell you about what we’re working on, but first of all, let us explain who we’re looking for. The most important thing about you is that you are curious and care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives. You are transparent, reliable, considerate and ready to work hard to further our mission.
You have a real passion for starting small and shipping frequently.
Whether you've previously worked at a startup, you understand the tradeoffs that exist in any software project. You feel comfortable making a recommendation about scope, and you can balance refactoring and new feature work. You don't over optimize code, and solve for the problem at hand — not the problems we wish we had. We design efficiently and don't hesitate to iterate constantly.
## The role: Contract Software Engineer 💻
We’re looking for a software engineer to join our team for the next 6 months. You'll be at the forefront of shaping our users’ experience, building and supporting features across the entire stack (more emphasis on the frontend). Here’s a snapshot of what you’ll be doing:
- Be a part of a high-performing and inclusive team that values autonomy.
- Work with your teammates to set high goals — and celebrate success when we hit them.
- Contribute to building a collaborative, productive and friendly remote workplace.
- Building new features from the ground up as well as improving our existing product.
- Provide production support, system diagnosis and troubleshooting
- Ensure consistency, performance, and reliability across distributions of Aula: web, desktop, iOS, Android.
- Commit to high-speed iterations, high code quality, and continuous improvement via agile processes
- Work directly with Product Designers to build, maintain and improve design-first UI across devices.
We’d love to hear from you if… 🔍
- 4+ years of demonstrable engineering experience, ideally working on client facing, accessible applications
- Experience creating and iterating on products from end-to-end.
- Worked with RESTful APIs and single page applications
- Experience and understanding of automated testing, continuous integration and continuous delivery
- Cloud systems / architecture experience
- Worked on a remote team using agile development practices, and know how to break down complex pieces of work into deliverables
- Worked on features in a vertical slice, from back-end to front-end.
- Are mission-driven: you care deeply about building great products that affect people’s lives.
- Are excited about working with a 35-person startup with all the ups, downs and ownership that entails.
- Enjoy working in an agile environment driven by our partners’ needs
- Value good coding practices; your coding style is always high quality, consistent and maintainable.
- Are a team player, someone who enjoys working collaboratively.
- Are transparent, reliable and considerate.
- Have a curious nature; someone who is excited about exploring and learning
- You approach everything you do proactively and are always looking for ways to improve and innovate
- Are emotionally intelligent. You can communicate with people from different backgrounds and with varying levels of tech know-how. You don’t shy away from challenging conversations.
- Value being part of a diverse and inclusive team.
Apply now and work remotely at Aula
Jobs farther away
Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
At Qualia, we are fundamentally transforming the way real estate professionals, lenders, and homebuyers manage real estate transactions, one of the nation’s largest industries. We are bringing together everyone involved in the closing process onto one shared, secure platform -- basically, we’re making buying a home in America easier, safer, cheaper, and less painful by moving the process online! Qualia was founded in 2015 by Forbes 30 Under 30 Award recipients Nate Baker, Joel Gottsegen and Lucas Hansen. The company is backed by top investors including 8VC, Bienville Capital, Menlo Ventures and Tiger Global and currently processes 20% of all US real estate transactions. Qualia is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices in Austin, TX. Qualia was also named by CB Insights and Fast Company in their “50 Future Unicorns” spotlight for 2020.
We are hiring entrepreneurial engineers interested in being a part of our scaling engineering team. Our engineers are conscientious hackers who like teamwork but are also comfortable with independent projects. Our engineering team releases new software every week, moves at a fast pace, and works directly with our design and customer-facing teams to imagine and build the new experiences our customers love. Because of that, you’ll get a rewarding variety of projects to work on.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you've been in the industry for a while and have a proven track record of success. You are comfortable taking full responsibility for complex, high-liability projects. You have experience making key architectural decisions and performing the research to back up those decisions. You've dealt with the consequences of your mistakes, and know how to fight fires if necessary. You enjoy mentoring and providing support for less experienced developers. You've thrived in many different environments and realize that each team is unique.
YOUR DAY TO DAY
Your work will focus on building web technologies, both frontend and backend. You’ll work on improving and extending our core web applications, diverse software integrations, payment-processing systems, and other exciting new features.
Our engineers are generalists, and your responsibilities will be flexible based on company needs as well as your skills and interests.
YOUR BACKGROUND THAT LIKELY MAKES YOU A MATCH
We are looking for strong full-stack engineers with 5+ years of experience
We value engineers who have good product sense, attention to detail, and passion for the impact of the software they build.
You have made key architectural decisions for large projects.
You have mentored junior developers.
You have worked on multiple engineering teams, both small and large.
THE TECH STACK YOU'LL USE
Meteor / Semantic UI / MongoDB
Microservice architecture / Docker / AWS
Local copy of full production stack for development
GitHub for version control and pull requests
ABOUT OUR ENGINEERING TEAM
Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership.
Qualia’s Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that.
As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they’re interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk.