Front-end Jobs nearPortland, OR
Senior Staff Engineer
Shopify is the leading omni-channel commerce platform. Merchants use Shopify to design, set up, and manage their stores across multiple sales channels, including mobile, web, social media, marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops. The platform also provides merchants with a powerful back-office and a single view of their business, from payments to shipping. The Shopify platform was engineered for reliability and scale, making enterprise-level technology available to businesses of all sizes.
Our Data Platform Engineering group builds and maintains the platform that delivers accessible data to power decision-making at Shopify for over a million merchants. We’re hiring high-impact developers across teams:
- The Engine group organizes all merchant and Shopify data into our data lake in highly-optimized formats for fast query processing, and maintaining the security + quality of our datasets.
- The Analytics group builds products that leverage the Engine primitives to deliver simple and useful products that power scalable transformation of data at Shopify in batch, or streaming, or for machine learning. This group is focused on making it really simple for our users to answer three questions: What happened in the past? What is happening now? And, what will happen in the future?
- The Data Experiences group builds end-user experiences for experimentation, data discovery, and business intelligence reporting.
- The Reliability group operates the data platform efficiently in a consistent and reliable manner. They build tools for other teams at Data Platform to leverage to encourage consistency and they champion reliability across the platform.
While our teams value specialized skills, they've also got a lot in common. We're looking for a(n):
- High-energy self-starter with experience and passion for data and big data scale processing. You enjoy working in fast-paced environments and love making an impact.
- Exceptional communicator with the ability to translate technical concepts into easy to understand language for our stakeholders.
- Excitement for working with a remote team; you value collaborating on problems, asking questions, delivering feedback, and supporting others in their goals whether they are in your vicinity or entire cities apart.
- Solid software engineer: experienced in building and maintaining systems at scale.
A Senior Data Developer at Shopify typically has 4-6 years of experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Working with the internals of a distributed compute engine (Spark, Presto, DBT, or Flink/Beam)
- Query optimization, resource allocation and management, and data lake performance (Presto, SQL)
- Cloud infrastructure (Google Cloud, Kubernetes, Terraform)
- Security products and methods (Apache Ranger, Apache Knox, OAuth, IAM, Kerberos)
- Deploying and scaling ML solutions using open-source frameworks (MLFlow, TFX, H2O, etc.)
- Building full-stack applications (Ruby/Rails, React, TypeScript)
- Background and practical experience in statistics and/or computational mathematics (Bayesian and Frequentist approaches, NumPy, PyMC3, etc.)
- Modern Big-Data storage technologies (Iceberg, Hudi, Delta)
At Shopify, we are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. Our belief is that a strong commitment to diversity and inclusion enables us to truly make commerce better for everyone. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
Apply now and work remotely at ShopifyApply
Jobs farther away
Android UI Engineer
Who we are:
Our story might surprise you. We’re the world’s largest restaurant company—encompassing KFC, Pizza Hut, and Taco Bell—but there’s a lot more going on behind the scenes than just frying chicken, baking pizzas, and serving up tacos. We put this delicious food in the hands of customers through apps, websites, kiosks, POS, and other digital dining experiences – and we are only getting started. Here in Chicago, we’re building out a bold team of hackers to help Yum! Brands deliver the next generation of software to 50,000 restaurants in more than 145 countries. That’s a huge responsibility, which is why we’re on a mission to find the most fearless engineers to join our software startup within Yum!.
Yum!'s vision for the future is simple: a world with more Yum!: with our iconic brands in more places, and more ways for consumers to access them. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results. And like all companies who win consistently, our brands, employees, and franchisees will need to continually adjust to stay relevant now and in the future. The software we’re building does just that: it serves people in new ways to make team members more productive and customers happier.
The Point of Sales Team:
The POS team at Yum.dev functions like a mini-startup except without the late caffeine binging nights and stress about funding! Our dynamic team is made up of engineers with all sorts of backgrounds. We even have a guy who writes Haskell and I mean, who does that!? The POS runs on Android tablets and it’s on us to make them look perfect for KFC, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut, or the Habit Burger. You’ll work closely with design and senior engineers to figure out how to provide the best experience possible for our end users.
Be building an Android-based point-of-sale and operations platform that will be a critical tool in tens of thousands of restaurants around the world
Have the opportunity to work on challenging problems in an environment where you can have a very large impact on the end product
Solve problems with the latest and greatest Android and Kotlin APIs
A bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering or equivalent experience
Solid knowledge of the Android SDK and Kotlin
Passing knowledge of recent Android practices – AndroidX, MVVM
An eagerness to expand your knowledge beyond Retrofit and RoomDB
Willingness and ability to own/manage specific aspects of the development process including implementation, testing, or deployment (CI/CD)
Comfort with reactive UI patterns (RxJava/Flow)
Interest or experience in technologies outside of Android
Social proof of your passion for software development (blog, personal apps or websites, meetup presentations, community involvement)
A few of our perks:
4 weeks of vacation PLUS holidays
5 sick days
2 paid volunteer days
Medical, dental, vision
Half day Fridays
Generous parental leave
A world-famous recognition culture