Backend Serverless Developer
We help our clients (companies) hire great engineers for fully remote positions.
- Companies will reach out to you and not the other way around
- Compensation requirements are transparent upfront
- One application, access to multiple companies
- If we see you are fit for the company, we will connect you in less than 24 hours and get you on an interview
- 1 in 4 engineers interviewed by a company gets hired
- We do one! vetting process which gets you access to multiple companies
- You stay in the talent pool seen by companies until you get a job
- Completely free for developers
- 3+ years of experience working as a fullstack engineer
- Working with Typescript is a bonus
- Experience working with AWS, MySQL is a big bonus
- Experience working with Docker, Terraform
- Experience designing and working with RestAPI and GraphQL is a plus
- After passing Remotesome's screening process, you will be seen by multiple companies across NA and EU with some of them including leading companies in their industry
- You will set your job preferences and salary expectations upfront
- You decide with which client or company you want to work with
- No need for cover letters
- Compensation agreement upfront, salary expectations are transparent from the start
Apply now and work remotely at Remotesome
What We Do
Overleaf is a startup and social enterprise that builds modern collaborative authoring tools for scientists — like Google Docs for Science. We have over six million registered users from around the world. Our primary product is an online, real-time collaborative editor for papers, theses, technical reports and other documents written in the LaTeX markup language.
Who We Are
Overleaf was founded by two mathematicians who were inspired by their own experiences in academia to create a better solution for scientific collaboration and communication. Now we are a team of about forty with fifteen developers, based mainly in and around the UK and in the US. We were recently recognised as one of the UK's top 100 fastest growing businesses and as the Best SaaS for Nonprofits or Education in the 2020 SaaS Awards Program.
Overleaf is based on open source software, and most of our product code is itself open source. You can find it on GitHub: https://github.com/overleaf/overleaf (note: most activity is in the repos linked from there).
We run a mainly Node.js back end using MongoDB, PostgreSQL and Redis. We use a microservices architecture, with about a dozen services. On the front end, we mainly use Angular v1 and are incrementally migrating to React.
We're hosted on Google Cloud Platform using Google Kubernetes Engine. We use Docker to manage our development environments. We support continuous delivery and typically deploy at least a few times a day (less on Fridays).
How We Work
Overleaf is remote-first --- all founders and staff work remotely. We also have an office in Farringdon for those in the London area, and when the pandemic settles down we'll again get the whole team together in London a few times a year for face-to-face time.
We encourage flexible working. Our core hours are 2pm–5pm UK time, during which our development teams have 10–15 minute daily standup calls. We have few standing meetings for developers, but we do many smaller video or voice calls for pairing or within teams.
We always collect user feedback to inform our work. We have UX professionals on our team, and we run many surveys and user interviews.
We organize our work with Kanban. We use GitHub pull requests for each feature with code review to share knowledge and best practices (and catch bugs). We test thoroughly with automated unit and acceptance tests, supported by continuous integration (CI). We're also fans of linting to minimise bike-shedding (and to catch bugs).
About This Role
We plan to add two developers to our team, both with a backend focus. Experience with some of Node.js, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Redis or Kubernetes is desirable. We are also particularly interested in meeting you if:
- you'd be interested in taking up a team lead role in the not too distant future, or
- you have experience with setting up data pipelines for web analytics and/or business intelligence.
Key projects on our road map this year include:
- Improve our B2C conversion metrics and monitoring — we'll be setting up a new web analytics system to generate insights we need while continuing to respect user privacy
- Consolidate our two project history systems — we currently have two from our integration with ShareLaTeX in 2017, each with hundreds of TB to be consolidated
- Make our project PDF preview faster and less bandwidth hungry — we have prototypes showing big wins that now need productionizing
Here are some examples of projects (large and small) we've recently completed:
In the longer term, we are planning projects around improved collaboration features for teams, improvements to our rich text mode, and more.
How We Hire
The stages in our hiring process are typically:
We will aim to update you on the status of your application within 14 days from when we receive it.
We'll follow up by email (or sometimes schedule a phone call) with any questions we have about your application, usually around logistics, your ambitions and your expectations about the role.
We'll schedule a more in-depth interview, which is typically two hours long. The first hour is discussion, and the second hour is technical. For the technical, you'll have the option of either completing a homework assignment, which requires about one hour of your time before the interview, or solving a problem in the interview, if you prefer. The problems are practical in nature (no fizz-buzz or reversing linked lists), and you can use Google, man pages, etc., and ask us questions.
We'll make an offer. We usually interview in batches, so there may be a short delay while we interview other candidates, but we will try to keep you informed throughout the process.
If you have a deadline, please let us know in your application, and we will try to be accommodating.
We require that you:
- have a minimum of 2–3 years of relevant experience (we aren't taking on more new graduates at the moment).
- will work for us full time (or nearly full time).
- will usually be available in our core hours, 2pm–5pm UK time.
Applicants in the UK, Europe, US and Canada are preferred.
Experience with the technologies we use is always a plus, but you don't need to know them all; your ability to learn is much more important to us.
- Remote and flexible working.
- Salary £40k–£75k per year depending on experience.
- You would join a small, dedicated and growing team.
- We're substantially (around 80%) open source, so your work will often be on open source code.
- We're backed by Bethnal Green Ventures (https://bethnalgreenventures.com/) and Digital Science (https://www.digital-science.com/), through which we're part of a wider community of startups in science, health and ed-tech.
- Our London office is shared with several other Digital Science companies, so there's lots of interesting people to meet, and clubs and sports activities outside of work.
- We get everyone together in London for team meetings several times a year for valuable face-to-face time (pandemic permitting).
- You can pick your own equipment. MacBook Pro? Lenovo ThinkPad? Notebook and pen? However you like to work, we'll provide what you need.
- We provide a training budget; many of our developers choose to attend relevant industry conferences or buy training materials.
- We run quarterly remote hackathons to keep learning and experimenting.
- We run a weekly internal seminar series with short talks from staff about their work or personal projects, new technologies and techniques.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply now and work remotely at Overleaf
Senior Backend Developer Who Loves Node.js (Santa Barbara, CA)
WELL is a patient communication infrastructure for healthcare. We enable enterprise health systems, private practices, and vendors to conduct seamless conversations with patients across multiple channels — including texting, email, telephone, and live chat.
With WELL, patients receive all of their healthcare communication from one trusted source — their provider. The platform empowers service representatives to converse with patients in real time, ensuring patients feel heard while driving staff efficiency and increased revenue.
Founded in 2015, WELL is based in Santa Barbara, California and is the highest rated patient engagement software on G2. WELL serves many of the country’s leading health systems and more than 20 million patients.
WELL is honored to be ranked number 170 on the 2020 Inc. 5000 list of fastest growing private companies. WELL is also proud to have been named one of the 2020 Central Coast Best Places to Work by the Pacific Coast Business Times, and one of the 2020 Best Places to Work in Healthcare by Modern Healthcare. To learn more about WELL, please visit our LinkedIn.
WELL is looking for a talented, experienced backend developer to join our fast-paced, growing engineering department. This developer will primarily be working with Node.js. As a Node.js Backend Engineer at WELL, you will work directly alongside a team of bright and motivated backend engineers, under the guidance of our Engineering Director.
You will be responsible for working with the rest of the team to maintain and grow features in the backend code base. This work will range from supporting Node.js web facing APIs, to writing SQL queries, to developing workflows in Golang.
In addition to being a strong developer, you will have a keen interest in how software and modern communication channels can improve the patient experience. You will also have the attention to detail and quality needed to meet high Service Level Agreements (SLAs) in a product that serves roughly 20 million patients nationwide. You will also be flexible and adaptable enough to thrive in a fluid startup environment.
Build new backend services using Typescript on Node.js, open source technology and tools including NestJS.
As an experienced engineer, you will help the team adhere to software best practices, level up others in your areas of expertise, and contribute to the architecture of our ongoing refactor project.
Collaborate with the product team in an agile environment to break down requirements, plan and estimate tasks.
Drive quality by writing effective unit, integration and functional tests for high availability systems and libraries.
Create high availability and high throughput systems using Redis, Postgres, Kinesis, S3, MongoDB, and AWS services.
Effectively collaborate with Product, QA, UX, Client Success, and other internal groups (both technical and non-technical).
Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science
5+ years designing and implementing backend services and distributed systems in a professional environment
Proficiency in SQL (PostgreSQL) database design
Experienced working with asynchronous requests in large scale applications
Commitment to testing best practices
Collaboration/contributions with the open source community
Strong leadership skills
Event sourced and microservice architecture
WELL is headquartered in Santa Barbara, CA and has a satellite office in Orange County, CA. Today, all WELL positions are remote, and we are looking forward to when our company returns to in-office work at or around June 2021. We are open to candidates that are looking for a permanently remote role depending on their level of experience. Historically, remote team members visit the Santa Barbara office regularly, and we’ve found that works best when they are on the West Coast, specifically in Southern California.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
Fantastic company culture – frequent Zoom company events (Lunch & Learns, trivia, yoga, etc.) and daily fun brought to you by many creative Slack channels.
Workplace groups – company committees available for all to join (Diversity & Inclusion and Workplace Engagement).
Learning and development – frequent events and tools available to help our employees #PursueGrowth.
Career mobility – we promote from within and have opportunities for employees to transfer between teams.
Santa Barbara office perks: dog-friendly office, healthy (and unhealthy) snacks, Kombucha and beer on tap, light-filled space, standing desks, and the occasional taco truck.
MacBook Pro provided
Generous equity package
Full health benefits – medical/dental/vision
WELL Health Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to fair and equitable hiring practices. All hiring decisions at WELL are based on strategic business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications. All candidates are considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexuality, national origin, age, disability, genetics or any other protected status.
We’re dedicated to creating an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace, where everyone feels safe to be themselves and diversity is a strength. WELL is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment; WELL will not tolerate discrimination or harassment of any kind.
Apply now and work remotely at Well Health
Senior WordPress Backend Developer
We are looking for a talented, process-oriented expert PHP developer with strong WordPress experience and Technical Lead to strengthen our team and build on our technical foundation.
The expert developer understands the business outcomes customers expect and works to deliver the product and customer requests on time and within budget while actively participating in the projects production cycle.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work together with our product team to build and maintain the BuddyBoss products.
- Contribute by building new features, plugins, fixing issues and constantly improving our products.
- Assist the customer support team in resolving customer issues in relation to the product.
- Troubleshoot customer issues, and release new patches.
- Help in managing the software development, making new product releases, and communicating the information to our customers.
- Help lead the development and ensure high quality outputs
- Lead QA — on IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari across PC, Mac, and mobile devices
- Lead design and code reviews and enforce coding standards
- Closely oversee the performance of critical tasks such as live site migrations, live site maintenance, emergency fixes and other related
Required Skills & Experience
- Post Secondary Education, preferably in a technical field
- 7+ years web application development experience
- 7+ years PHP
- 3+ years of WordPress Experience
- Proficiency with the WordPress Coding Standards, approaches and common APIs.
- A good understanding of REST best practices
- Advanced SQL knowledge creating, maintaining and improving performance
- Server management experience with tools and processes such as cPanel, PHPMyAdmin, DNS, Cron Jobs, and bash scripting
- Experience with Git and other version control systems
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS. Experience with modern web standards required (semantic markup, HTML5, mobile web)
- Experience working directly with customers to meet business objectives.
- Understanding of agile methodologies & principles (scrum, kanban, etc.)
- Understanding of prototyping
- Results / Quality / Process oriented
- Can effectively translate business requirements into features & functional outputs
- A can-do attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with remote teams is a big plus. Our team is mostly distributed with team members in over 10 countries.
- Experience building on BuddyBoss Platform, BuddyPress and/or bbPress
- Experience with frameworks such as Angular, Vue.js, React
Salary will be based on experience level.
We are looking to fill multiple positions.
Apply now and work remotely at BuddyBoss
Full Stack Engineer That Loves Node TypeScript GraphQL Help Build Our Backend (Manchester, UK)
About this role
We’re looking for a software engineer to work on our GraphQL API, other backend services, and full stack on web-based apps. Our stack is Node.js, PostgreSQL, React, GraphQL for web and backend. You’ll work alongside other engineers who will work on our Swift and Kotlin native mobile apps and rely on the GraphQL API.
We will consider hiring at either junior, mid or senior level (we're building a team).
A typical day
The mornings will usually have a standup meeting. The aim is to update everyone, co-ordinate the day, and organise any collaboration.
After that, you may get stuck into some coding, or developing ideas. At various points you will ask for advice (or give advice). If other team members are free, you might go to a whiteboard together, and work on some problems together.
When working on a major feature/project, you’d be given a brief by the product manager. You would then have to create a design document along with a product designer. That might be a 2-3 page doc describing the problem and proposed solution.
Usually, you would say how you’re approaching the issue and discuss alternatives you have considered and why you rejected them. You would pitch it to the product manager and the rest of the team.
On other days, the focus may be on pure coding, i.e. improving fix, fixing problems, or working on deploying a feature.
Where you’ll work
We have a base in Beehive Lofts in Ancoats in Manchester.
You will occasionally need to travel to see customers, although you wouldn’t necessarily need a car to be able to do that. Full travel expenses will be paid.
There is a lift in the building with ground level access, and should you need to use this we can arrange a visit to check it is suitable.
Great written communicator
Able to work with others in the team to develop ideas and designs, approachable and easy going
Can work quickly but maintain quality
Puts the customer at the heart of all product decisions, on a constant quest to understand the customer’s wants and needs
Able to put together collaborative documents to communicate the possible approaches and recommended implementation for new features
Attention to detail, we create quality products
Qualifications and experience
3+ years of experience as a software developer
Desirable: GraphQL experience
Desirable: PostgreSQL experience
Desirable: Typescript experience
Desirable: React experience (or similar framework)
Desirable: Mobile app development experience
Salary & benefits
Excellent salary (depends on level hired at - junior, mid or senior)
Mobile phone allowance
Coffee, tea & snacks provided
Apply now and work remotely at Chalkboard Software Limited
Senior Go Backend Developer
Full remote work possible (European timezones only)
We are the fastest-growing marketplace for refurbished electronics in the German-speaking region. Our products save up to 70% of CO2 emissions in comparison to a new device and are also up to 40% cheaper. Additionally, for every sold device we plant a tree and we were already able to plant more than 200,000 trees to fight global warming.
We were founded in February 2017 and grew to more than 90 employees in less than three years and expanded to Italy and Poland already. Along the way we won several awards and have already sold tens of thousands of products, making us one of the fastest-growing startups in Europe in 2020. Additionally, we recently announced one of Austria's biggest Series A funding rounds of € 15.6 mn.
Our main system consists of an HTTP API and backend workers written in Go, a public interface serving HTML pages to our customers written in Go and connecting to our API, Vue.js interfaces embedded into our public interface, and a standalone Vue.js management interface.
Key technologies are: Go, Vue.js, PostgreSQL, RabbitMQ and AMQP.
Together with you we want to build the leading marketplace for refurbished electronics in Europe.
- Development of our main API
- Development of our smaller backend services
- Integration of external systems into our platform
- Formal education in computer science
- Significant experience designing and implementing backend services
- Significant experience with software development in Go
- Good knowledge of SQL and relational database design
- You work independently and goal oriented
- You have excellent English skills
ADDITIONAL FACTORS WE APPRECIATE
- You have experience with PostgreSQL
- You are comfortable working with Linux and FreeBSD
- You have experience working with backend services like Nginx or RabbitMQ
- You have experience working with load balancing/failover infrastructure
- You are active in the open-source community
- You can speak German
- Startup atmosphere
- Full remote position
- Flexible working hours
- Fair compensation
- Collaboration with all parts of the company
- Experienced and ambitious team
Please send us representative examples of your work, like of open-source projects you contributed to. If you are active in communities like Stack Overflow, please let us know.
Payment, depending on qualification and experience, between 3 000 and 6 500 EUR.
Apply now and work remotely at RefurbedApply
Looking to join a fun, highly-talented team that’s working on an edtech product the world really needs right now?
LearnCube is on a mission to transform live online education across the globe. Through our award-winning online classroom and online school, we help education entrepreneurs to succeed online. We also have a special strength in online language education, where we work with iconic language education companies like Babbel.
We're growing fast and need your help.
More about LearnCube and our development stack:
LearnCube is a leading edtech SAAS provider. Our Virtual Classroom and Online School platform makes it easy for language teachers and tutors to teach online professionally.
LearnCube’s customers are individual tutors, edupreneurs, online language schools and tutoring companies.
We’re a fast-growing company founded in 2014, based in London but with a “remote-first” culture.
As a web developer for LearnCube, you will be working with a close, highly-talented team on our online classroom and online school products.
You will have so much more opportunity to learn, contribute and grow professionally with a startup like LearnCube, than you would from working for a big but soulless technology company.
We use vue.js, Python and Django to build our cutting-edge solution but there’s also plenty of room to build your skills, experiment and play with other exciting technologies.
What you’ll do:
- Contribute to online classroom features and new products. For example, in the last year, we released new homework, large group classroom and breakout room features for our online classroom.
Improve the experience for our school administrators, teachers and students through learning analytics and data logging.
- Scaling infrastructure is not the focus of your work but we offer a unique opportunity to gain experience if you’re curious. COVID-19 has increased the number of classes we deliver by more than 10-fold with more high-potential opportunities on the horizon.
- Collaborate with other areas of LearnCube - customer support, customer success and sales - to improve the business, user experience and customer experience.
- Provide some technical customer support for customer queries, especially for our VIP customers using our API products.
- Keep up-to-date with best practices and technology.
- Support research and development of our most innovative ideas within our “Learncube Labs” including smart ways to improve education through A.I.
More about the role:
- Initial 3-month fixed term contract (remote position) followed by full-time contract if it goes well.
- Market-related, competitive salary with a generous vacation policy.
- Salary with company bonus.
- This a remote position. There is no office!
- Think of this also as a 'spring-board' position with lots more opportunity to grow your career into a leadership role if that is your desired path.
Criteria for a successful candidate:
- Honest, humble, highly competent, fast-learner, self-starter and motivated by the mission
- Minimum of 2+ years of software development experience
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team
- Attention to detail
- Shows initiative and not shy from taking on responsibility and projects
- Ability to adapt and grow (startup life isn’t a straight line)
- Able to overlap with European business hours at least once per day
Bonus points for a successful candidate:
- Some experience with VueJS
- Some experience with Django
- Some experience with MySQL
- Experience with WebRTC / Websockets
- Experience with Redis
- Experience with AWS tech stack
- API gateway, Lambda, DynamoDB, ELB, EC2, RDS
- Experience with Elasticsearch
- Design / UX skills
- Association or experience with tutoring or learning spoken languages
- Startup experience
- Evidence of creating your own products and solutions
- Are you a team player and a good person? We have a strict no d///head policy and are not looking for “programming purists”.
- Do you have a strong interest in education and edtech?
- Are you fluent in spoken and written English? Note, you don’t have to be a perfect native speaker.
- Do you already share our values: honesty, trust, grit, motivation, and energy?
- Can you demonstrate strong skills in customer support and care, understanding how to work with people and getting them the help they need?
- Can you provide evidence of at least 6-12 months of experience working at least 20 hours a week remotely?
LearnCube perks and path
- Freedom to live wherever you like as long as you have reliable internet and a permanent residence.
- Annual all-expenses-paid team trip to an exciting location in Europe (when it's properly safe to travel again).
- A clear career path to lead part of our development and product team as we grow.
- We offer a supportive, safe and fun work environment. Whatever gender, race, sexuality, nationality, religion, education, languages or quirks you have (or don’t), we don’t mind. Just bring strong values of honesty, trust, grit, motivation, and energy.
- We’ll provide a monthly contribution towards your home-office or favourite local co-working space.
- Loads of opportunity for professional development.
- Oh… and you’ll feel much more motivated knowing you’re changing the world for the better; improving both the access to and quality of education across the world.
Aside from the non-negotiables, please don’t worry if you can’t check absolutely every criteria above (you’re probably more awesome than you think).
Apply now and work remotely at LearnCubeApply
We are a startup with the aim of revolutionising the trade fair and events sector. Our concept uses Big Data to digitise trade fairs and thus optimise the visitor experience and exhibitor ROI.
We are looking for developers who want to be part of this journey and help build something big. As our product is in a nascent stage, candidates should show initiative and feel comfortable in developing a product from scratch. Given that our market is global and the need to interact with people from all over the world, an advanced knowledge of English is a must. We are open to profiles with different ranges of experience.
We are looking for candidates with the following profile:
- Engineering, IT or equivalent experience
- 2 years of relevant experience using the React Native and ReactJS framework
- Knowledge of data structures, design patterns and writing of clean, robust, reusable code
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Familiar with Agile frameworks such as Scrum
In addition, the following will be valued:
- Experience in the development of native apps: Android using Java or Kotlin and iOS using Objective-C or Swift
- Experience in web application development
- Experience in TDD/BDD and CI/CD
Apply now and work remotely at Mixie Digital
As a Frontend Architect at Toptal, you will help us scale for our continued growth as a game-changing, industry-defining company shaping the future of work. You will be working to keep our software technology aligned with the business’s strategic vision and will work across multiple engineering teams to ensure the development of maintainable and scalable products.
This is a remote position that can be done from anywhere. Due to the remote nature of this role, we are unable to provide visa sponsorship. Resumes and communication must be submitted in English.
You will work directly with the Chief Software Architect owning the full-cycle of technical solutions across all Toptal products to build a robust unified technical vision and toolset. You will work with 20+ engineering teams to find and analyze present and anticipated future technical challenges with their projects or products. You will build engineering research groups and facilitate work in them to collaboratively design solutions to those challenges. You will work in an entirely distributed company and help define an entirely new space while learning about how an organization scales on a hyper-growth trajectory.
###Practical responsibilities involve:
Build and lead research groups of senior and principal engineers to define and decide development technology and platform, define development standards, tools, processes, etc.
In collaboration with the Chief Architect discuss, formulate, and document a vision for Frontend architecture and approaches in all Toptal software products.
Detail out and refine higher-level architecture decisions into a lower-level design.
Lead implementation of technical and infrastructure initiatives to support architecture decisions.
Communicate the vision to the engineering team. Overlook and review the work of the team to ensure that the architecture decisions are being executed and the team is following coding standards and architecture guidelines.
Consult the engineering team with ongoing projects. Help them align solutions with the Toptal architecture vision and industry best practices. Make software design (application-level) decisions with the team, take software architecture topics for further consideration and unification.
Ensure technical knowledge sharing between development teams on related or similar projects.
Lead the research on specific topics, experiment with various technologies, and provide recommendations based on your findings.
Proactively identify technical debt and product areas that require attention or improvement at the architecture level.
Constantly develop yourself and the team in technology advancements, research new approaches, tools and best practices in the software architecture and design space.
Suggest improvements to our technology stack to optimize it for strategic growth and the competitive advantage of Toptal.
Previous experience working with multiple engineering teams.
Experience in facilitating even the most heated discussions, ability to resolve them and take responsibility for the decisions.
Track record of delivering successful solutions as a leader.
Be a world-class individual contributor. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do. The only way we lead in Toptal is by example.
5+ years of front-end web development experience — preference is given to candidates who have maintained or architected large scale applications.
Clear understanding of software design patterns and principles.
Experience with a variety of web application designs, including monolithic and SOA, understanding of service breakdown and communication principles.
Experience guiding the continuous improvement of process and technology.
Strong sense of ownership. You take responsibility for the success of the engineering teams.
Commitment to quality. You take pride in everything you deliver as a reflection of yourself.
Abstract thinking while paying attention to meaningful details at the same time.
Ability to take smart risks and champion new ideas.
Ability to communicate clearly and constantly with teams in writing and on video calls.
You must be a world-class individual contributor to thrive at Toptal. You will not be here just to tell other people what to do.
Apply now and work remotely at Toptal