Group Nine Media is looking for a Software Engineer to join our Sites Pod. This individual is a self-starting, organized and dynamic person who is passionate about the Group Nine Media brands and working with modern web technologies to build beautiful, performant, and scalable web applications. As a member of the team, you will architect and deliver visually-stunning editorial and multimedia content across all of our brands, while making sure that we’re pushing the capabilities of our web platform to the limit.
As an Engineer who will help establish Group Nine Media as a leader in the media industry, in a typical week you will:
- Make contributions to Group Nine Media's brand-agnostic, modern, and scalable web platform built with Next.js
- Collaborate with our Product & Design teams to make additions to Group Nine Media's Component Library & Design System using Storybook
- Participate in Agile Scrum ceremonies - Daily Stand-ups, Reviews, and Retrospectives
- Meet with fellow team members during Study Halls where we encourage sharing new ideas, brainstorming and problem-solving together
- Utilize modern technologies and tools to focus on delivering valuable products and rich user experiences - not maintaining a legacy architecture
- Learn something new and awesome every day!
Technologies That We Use and Love:
- Next.js, React (Server-side Rendered), Node.js
- Styled Components, Storybook
- Figma, Sketch, Invision, Design System Manager
- Firebase, Cloud Firestore, GraphQL
- Puppeteer, Jest
- Google Cloud Platform, AWS
- Kubernetes, Lambda
- Google Analytics, Google Ad Manager
- You have at least 2 years of experience on an engineering team
Qualities of an Ideal Candidate:
- You thrive in a diverse workplace where knowledge-sharing and professional development is an important part of our culture
- You possess a genuine curiosity for understanding how things work
- You have excellent communication skills
- You are genuinely interested in building applications that scale with the business
- You are an independent, self-starter who sees each new project as an exciting challenge
- You are an advocate for clean, concise code and internal documentation
- You keep performance, optimization and speed top-of-mind when developing new features
- You can prioritize your work and understand business priorities
- You have the intuition to break large problems into smaller ones
- You collaborate with design and product team members to find innovative, creative and technically-sound ways to tell stories
- Cover letter not required but it might help set you apart from other candidates. We promise that we will read them!
We have amazing people. We can promise you’ll work alongside some of the smartest and most interesting people in the industry. Our people work hard but we always have fun doing it. From pride to wellness to diversity, employees lead clubs that matter. Bottom line: we care about each other and we take our values seriously.
We value development. We are a high-performance organization that challenges itself to continuously grow. We invest in employee development. You’ll need to be great to get hired here and we promise you’ll get even better once you’re here.
We care about you. We offer company-paid parental leave for everyone #inclusion. We also offer health, dental and vision insurance, along with a selection of voluntary benefits. Knowing that time out of the office is as important as time spent in the office, our vacation, sick, and federal holiday allowances ensure you have time to take care of yourself.
We value diversity and inclusivity. Group Nine Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and everyone is encouraged to apply. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Group Nine Media is also a participant in e-verify.
About Group Nine Media:
Group Nine’s mission is to tell great stories that spark action and make a real difference. As the #1 video publisher on mobile in the U.S. [Nielsen DCR, July 2019], Group Nine’s brands are built for the platforms where young people spend the majority of their time. We reach over 70% of Americans in their 20s every month [Nielsen, July 2019]. Audiences spend nearly 50 million hours a month engaging with our category-defining brands - NowThis, the no. 1 most-watched mobile news brand in the world; The Dodo, the no. 1 animal brand on digital; POPSUGAR, the leading digital lifestyle brand for women; Thrillist, the most-trusted digital brand in food, drink, travel & entertainment; and Seeker, the no. 1 science brand in the U.S. Group Nine has been recognized with hundreds of prestigious awards including Edward R. Murrow, James Beard, Cannes Lion, Critic’s Choice, among others.
Apply now and work remotely at Group Nine MediaApply