Nomad List is the most popular website for the fast growing movement of location independent remote workers. We have people from all the big tech companies, from hundreds of startups, and thousands of freelancers who use Nomad List every day to find places to live, work and travel to, and to meet like-minded people there.
Remote OK is the most popular remote jobs board on the web with customers like Y Combinator, Stripe, Intercom, Airtable, Invision and Sketch relying on it for hiring the best remote workers from a worldwide pool of talent. You're on it now and you're the best!
Until now I (Pieter Levels) have always done everything myself. To take off the load as a founder so I can take a break in 2021 after a years of non-stop working, and do things a bit more properly, I've started to hire people to replace me.
I'm looking to hire a Product Engineer. With that I mean a generalist software engineer focused on product outcomes rather than any specific part of the stack or language. You need to be more frontend focused than a typical programmer, and re-use any API or backend that exists to get the job done.
This is a full-time position.
- keep existing features working (we monitor most pages and API endpoints every minute)
- fix bugs that might come up (we have live PHP/JS bug tracking)
- build new features, that means coding the client side part of it (usually plain JS or w/ jQuery, but without fancy frameworks), and the back end side of it (usually plain PHP with SQLite)
- ship fast and iterate based on customer feedback (right now we deploy CI/CD-style about 50 times per day)
- you work on sites that get over 1.4 billion requests per year used by over 1 million people per month
- you work directly with me (Pieter Levels) and learn how to ship fast with a laser focus on building what customers want while learning how to market those new features directly to an audience
You should be
- autonomous and be able to figure things out for yourself, but I might go AWOL for awhile, so you need to make the best choices yourself how to fix something, or how to build a new feature
- not wanting to do things the proper overengineering way with Kubernetes clusters and Docker and multi layered sharded databases to scale like in BigCo tech enterprise; doing things proper is good but making customer's happy is the #1 priority, quickly made scrappy code can always be refactored later if a feature starts making money, instead of proper code that took a long time to write for a feature that nobody ends up using
You'll work in a team with
a Site Reliability Engineer, who keeps the sites up
a Community Manager, who keeps the Nomad List community safe
a Customer Service Specialist, who keeps our customers happy
Apply now and work remotely at Nomad List + Remote OK
We’re not serial entrepreneurs and we don’t think we are the biggest, brightest developers tackling the biggest technical challenges on the planet.
But we think companies have unique DNA; VertiStudio is our means to express ourselves in our professional lives.
What makes us different?
It’s not a product, a methodology, or a one-page manifesto.
It’s through hundreds of little things that we’re different.
What will you be working on?
It depends on your interests & experience.
We have 3 major projects: Neve, Optimole & our own sites, our products are being used by around 1 million people & our content sites reach half a million people every month. You will be the technical lead for one of these major projects.
How will you get there?
We’d start with a short 2-week trial when you’ll identify some things that can be improved and start improving them immediately.
See, we’re looking for someone who can teach us something & take our team on the next technical level.
What kind of people thrive here?
When I’m thinking about technical people, the ones that thrive are those that don’t like doing the same thing twice.
They’re independent. They like to get to the bottom of the problem. They use the latest technologies, but they’re realistic enough to figure out how it fits the project.
Take this example: https://github.com/Codeinwp/neve/issues/1989
Or the time an intern used a small internal hackathon as an opportunity to learn a new programming language by asking “can the blocks be made in exotic programming languages like PureScript, F# with Fable or Elm?”
How to apply?
Use the form below and clearly state in a written or video form :
Your experience with WordPress development.
What is your favorite code performance tweak & show us some code you’ve written that you’re proud of if possible
Tell us a bit about yourself and why you should be considered.
Profile links with code samples (GitHub, GitLab, WordPress.org, etc).
Other profile links if available (Your website, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc).
A technical improvement that you’ll do on https://github.com/Codeinwp/neve
For the input field asking if you agree, the answer is themeisle. Unfortunately 90% of the people doesn't seem to read this.
Please take your time to go through those and answer carefully, we don’t have a long interview process, nor any technical tests per se, we’ll need those answers and references to go through them and figure out your technical skills.
Note: I won’t be able to individually respond to all applications, if you’re a match we’ll reach out.
What does the process look like?
If you seem to be the right person, I will reach out to you for a quick 30’ meeting. I would like to learn more about what you are looking for and answer your questions, alternatively, we can do this via text as well.
If we agree to move forward, then the next step would be a chat with Marius, our CTO, about the technical work you’ve done and what you would like to do.
If this goes well, we’d move into the 2-week paid trial to see how things would work.
If this goes well, you’re hired.
Apply now and work remotely at VertiStudio
Senior PHP Developer
We are looking for a talented, process-oriented expert PHP developer with strong WordPress experience and Technical Lead to strengthen our team and build on our technical foundation.
The expert developer understands the business outcomes customers expect and works to deliver the product and customer requests on time and within budget while actively participating in the projects production cycle.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Work together with our product team to build and maintain the BuddyBoss products.
- Contribute by building new features, plugins, fixing issues and constantly improving our products.
- Assist the customer support team in resolving customer issues in relation to the product.
- Troubleshoot customer issues, and release new patches.
- Help in managing the software development, making new product releases, and communicating the information to our customers.
- Help lead the development and ensure high quality outputs
- Lead QA — on IE, Firefox, Chrome, and Safari across PC, Mac, and mobile devices
- Lead design and code reviews and enforce coding standards
- Closely oversee the performance of critical tasks such as live site migrations, live site maintenance, emergency fixes and other related
Required Skills & Experience
- Post Secondary Education, preferably in a technical field
- 7+ years web application development experience
- 7+ years PHP
- 3+ years of WordPress Experience
- Proficiency with the WordPress Coding Standards, approaches and common APIs.
- A good understanding of REST best practices
- Advanced SQL knowledge creating, maintaining and improving performance
- Server management experience with tools and processes such as cPanel, PHPMyAdmin, DNS, Cron Jobs, and bash scripting
- Experience with Git and other version control systems
- Proficiency in HTML/CSS. Experience with modern web standards required (semantic markup, HTML5, mobile web)
- Experience working directly with customers to meet business objectives.
- Understanding of agile methodologies & principles (scrum, kanban, etc.)
- Understanding of prototyping
- Results / Quality / Process oriented
- Can effectively translate business requirements into features & functional outputs
- A can-do attitude
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience working with remote teams is a big plus. Our team is mostly distributed with team members in over 10 countries.
- Experience building on BuddyBoss Platform, BuddyPress and/or bbPress
- Experience with frameworks such as Angular, Vue.js, React
Salary will be based on experience level.
We are looking to fill multiple positions.
Apply now and work remotely at BuddyBoss