Software Engineer (Full Stack)
Full Time – Remote
Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 (GBP)
Applications close on: 8th of June
The ideal candidate
- You enjoy working and shipping independently
- You've built and deployed something on the web (send us a link? 😇)
- You care about the product as well as the code
- You are curious and take initiative to explore new things
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- You enjoy picking up new skills and learning new technologies
- If you don't have any "formal" professional experience working as a software engineer, you've worked on a product (or built a side project) that had users
- Take ownership of parts of the codebase
- Document the systems you help build, monitor, and maintain
- Coordinate with the rest of the team on prioritising feature requests and bugs
- Evaluate and recommend solutions to guide team decision making
- Improve engineering standards, tooling, and processes
- Debug production issues and implement fixes for them
You Might Work On
- New features in the Simple Poll Slack app
- Performance improvements to make Simple Poll faster
- An entirely new product (We regularly explore new products!)
- Improving reliability of the Simple Poll app, which could for example entail setting up a new Datadog dashboard
- Work with a designer to build a new page in our frontend and then implement that page based on their design
- Something completely different! As an early stage company, we tend to be pretty "all hands on deck" when something comes up that we need to get done
Pay and benefits
- This is a fully remote, full time (40 hours per week) position. You can choose your own hours as long as you have at least 4 hours of overlap with London (from 8am - 6pm)
- The salary is £50,000 - £60,000 (GBP) per year
- We'll buy you a new Macbook Pro and any other tools you need to do your best work
- 30 days of holiday a year (including local national holidays), and you're encouraged to take all of it. You're also free to take additional time off for any other reasonable reasons, for example if you're sick (of course!) but also if you need to spend an afternoon taking care of something personal.
- Sustainable and healthy working matters to us. We care about building delightful products for our customers, not hitting arbitrary daily hour counts.
- We are a UK based company, so if you are also based on the UK we will hire you as a full time employee.
If you are not based in the UK, then this position will be permanent and full time in spirit, but a contract role on paper. The reason for this is that employment outside of the UK comes with significant challenges for a small company like ours. In that case, this means that this role doesn't include certain benefits like a retirement plan/pension.
We are a fairly early stage company! Currently there are two of us working on Simple Poll full time:
- Charles (who is in charge of Sales, Marketing, Business Development, and Compliance)
- Wilhelm (me! I mostly spend my time writing code and doing all the many other things that need to get done)
We're a profitable, bootstrapped company (no external investment) and very much plan to stay that way!
Background on Simple Poll (our main product):
- Simple Poll is one of the most popular apps on Slack
- Wilhelm created Simple Poll in early 2016 to improve his own workflow when working in Slack. Started as a side project and then grew up to be a proper company!
- Over the course of a year, Simple Poll has millions of users (and you will be able to directly impact their experience!)
Explicit is better than implicit
Simple is better than complex
Favor focus over features
Anything added dilutes everything else
Mind your words, they are important
Craft the details, they matter
Ship early and often
Never miss an opportunity to delight
Build for the long term
Use what you build with pride
Create lasting value for customers
Mistakes are possible when moving fast
Empower with courtesy and empathy
Our tech stack
- Python + Django
- Amazon Web Services
- HTML + Tailwind CSS
- Datadog, Zoom, Gmail, Google Calendar, G Suite, Slack, Notion
- Our own products!
Practicals of the role
Type: Full Time
Report to: CEO (Wilhelm)
Location: Remote – anywhere where you have significant (4h) timezone overlap with the UK (during the hours of 8am-6pm)
Start date: As soon as possible
Salary: £50,000 - £60,000 (GBP)
How to apply
We're excited to review your application!
Original job description
Apply now and work remotely at Simple Poll
QA Automation Engineer
If you have a soft spot for bootstrapped, profitable, remote companies with a meaningful product, and you want to use your frontend development skills for good, you’ll like this.
Drops’ goal is to turn language learning into a delightful game while ensuring effective learning. Drops is one of the top10 most innovative education companies according to FastCompany. Our app is in the Appstore for 3+ years, teaches 35 languages, was featured by both the App Store and Play Store multiple times - App of the Year in 2018 on the Play Store - and the company is still run by the founders. We are a small, super-capable remote team mainly spread across Europe (we have a small marketing crew in California) . We’re working synchronously, so time zones matter for us. We communicate via Slack, Github and Monday. We want to be the no.1 app for vocabulary learning and we are getting there quickly with our current user base of 18 million, a monthly active of >1,500,000 and an average store rating of 4.7.
You can find us here: https://languagedrops.com
You’ll be a core part of the development team, working on both our main (Drops) and auxiliary products (Droplets, Visual Dictionary, Internal CMS tools). This means a lot of ownership, which we cultivate by having a flat structure.
You’re a no-nonsense person, who is comfortable taking on larger projects, who has been working in working at a product company and has extensive front-end development experience.
You have been working with React or React Native for years, have deep knowledge of everything that’s happening in the browser or in a mobile client and looking for challenges in growing a product from an already large userbase to tens of millions of MAU, with all the complexity that’s involved in that.
You strongly prefer static typing over dynamic languages, and use every opportunity to transform code that doesn’t use types into code that does. You generally prefer to use a minimal set of simple tools to a diverse range of complex ones.
You like to have a variety of projects - at this job, you’ll be developing a complex web app, a static site generator (react-static), building internal automation infrastructure/tools and contributing to our internal content management system.
We’re building a small, but super capable team. You’re naturally more interested in the fate of the product & driven to grow professionally than in managing people.
We value clear and honest communication and transparency, it’s the linchpin of our culture and current success and freedom. You will be involved in both high and low level decision making and will be available during European working hours (9AM - 6PM GMT).
We are looking for a missionary rather than a mercenary.
What’d be different here:
- We’re a small team. We’re optimising for impact, not for headcount. You’ll be carefully considering any tradeoff that would lead to increased complexity.
- We’re using a single programming language - TypeScript. We have strict linter rules. Every pull request needs to be approved before it lands in master. We use the rebase workflow.
- We’re using React + Redux to develop UI, on both mobile and the web. We use selectors extensively. Our backend is on AWS, deployed to Lambda.
- We’re doing things in a functional way, concentrating state, minimising side effects and making dependencies explicit. We’re sharing 98%+ of the code between Android, iOS and Web.
- We’re writing software with a web developer’s mindset.
- We automate where it has positive ROI.
- Our biggest challenge is (and will remain): managing the complexity of sharing a lot of code between different apps.
- We’re not building a hierarchy. We’re encouraging everyone to be autonomous.
Apply now and work remotely at Drops
First engineer - full stack
PostHog is open-source, developer-friendly product analytics.
We had the most succesful b2b software HackerNews launch since 2012, we've got 1.7K stars on our repo right now, hundreds of users and deployments at large companies.
This is a super exciting time to be joining PostHog. We're growing like crazy and we need your help.
In reality, as one of our first hires you'll have a large hand in shaping this, but some keywords:
- Remote first
- "Write things down"
- Prefer making things transparent and public
- No need for crazy hours. Work hard when you're working.
As first engineer, you'll be key to building a lot of the core functionality of PostHog. We encourage you to take a look at our repo (issues and PRs) to see the type of things you'd be doing. Our stack is Django/React/Redux/Postgres.
- You'll have a 30 minute phone-call with our CTO Tim
- You'll meet our CEO James
- We'll pay you a normal contracting rates for anywhere between 1-5 days to do some work on PostHog. This will give you a chance to learn how we'd work with you, and for us to see how you work. You'll also end up with some open-source contributions.
- We make a decision.
We're backed by YCombinator, Solomon Hykes (ex-founder/CEO Docker), David Cramer (Founder/CEO Sentry), Adam Goldstein (Founder Hipmunk).
Apply now and work remotely at PostHogApply