Senior Full stack Engineer
What do we do?
Hatchways' mission is bold. We're modernizing education by helping those new to the tech industry get real, practical experience on-the-job instead of in the classroom. Our goal is to provide access to opportunities to people who otherwise would have been overlooked by the traditional interview process.
We have revolutionized the technical interview process by using a practical work simulation to assess candidates instead of relying on credentials, years of experience, or impractical CS knowledge to assess candidates.
Hatchways is a place you come to make an impact, working with like-minded people to build something meaningful using the best technology. You can read more about our team and culture here - https://hatchways.io/careers.
What we are looking for?
What does senior mean? For us, we are a company that doesn’t hire based on years of experience or credentials. In order to be senior, we are looking for an engineer that can provide technical mentorship to our team and can work on complex technical projects with little to no direction.
The ideal candidate for this position is a thoughtful problem solver who can easily adapt to changing requirements and quickly learn new technologies. They are passionate about developing modern, cutting-edge web applications, and can balance empathy to end-users with technical requirements.
What you hopefully bring:
Experience with a modern front-end framework (React, Angular, Vue, Ember, Typescript) and back-end framework (Python, Rails, Node.js)
Our stack is React, Python/Flask, GCP
Experience with non-relational or relational databases such as MongoDB, MySQL, Postgres, Redis, Cassandra
Experience working with IaaS such as GCP or AWS
Experience giving feedback on others' code through code reviews
A positive attitude, motivated, and a fast learner
You love teamwork and find it easy to collaborate closely with the engineering team to solve complex problems in efficient and scalable ways
You have a passion for solving problems across all areas of the business
Excited with the opportunity to lead a small team!
A 30-minute phone call with our CTO (https://www.linkedin.com/in/shumskassam/)
A project-based assessment where you will work on a few issues on a Github repository - it will be very practical and done using React + Python
A final 30-minute culture fit call with our CEO (https://www.linkedin.com/in/jaclynling/)
What are the perks and benefits?
We are a flexible, diverse, and remote-friendly team. We prioritize learning and growth opportunities for our developers (not only technically, but also personally) through frequent 1:1 meetings with your managers, valuable quarterly reviews, and external training opportunities. We are an early-stage startup, so joining us early means you will have a significant stake in the company. We also have a very flexible vacation and health benefits plan.
Learn a little more about the founding team:
Hatchways is a Y Combinator-backed startup (S19) and is founded by two-time founders Jaclyn and Shums. Prior to starting Hatchways, Jaclyn and Shums started their first startup (Blynk, your personal stylist in your pocket) which got acquired by Kik (popular messenger app in Waterloo, ON). At Kik, Shums was an engineering manager and Jaclyn led product for the bots team. Together, they launched some of the first chatbots in the market with partners like H&M, Sephora, and Shopify. Shortly thereafter, they wanted to pursue a problem area they were passionate about: improving the education to employment pathways so more people have access to opportunities in tech.
Hatchways is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. If there is any part of the interview process that is not accommodating for your situation, we are more than happy to create a more comfortable process for you. Just let us know by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply now and work remotely at Hatchways
Senior Backend Engineer
SerpApi is a real-time API to access search engine results. We solve the issues of having to rent proxies, solving captchas, and JSON parsing in an easy to use and integrate API for our customers.
We have an awesome work environment: We are a remote first company. We do continuous integration, continuous deployments, code reviews, code pairings, profit sharing, and most of communication is async via GitHub. We value super strongly transparency, do open books, have a public roadmap, and contribute to the EFF.
Apply now and work remotely at SerpApi
Ruby Software Engineer (ðGainesville, FL)
SharpSpring is looking for talented Ruby Software Engineers to join our team for our Perfect Audience platform. This position will give you the chance to work with the latest technologies and come up with creative solutions to problems across a wide range of projects. Ownership of product modules is encouraged, and as a member of our team, your contributions will have a positive impact on thousands of customers spanning the globe.
As part of a company that is growing quickly, we put a lot of trust in team members and expect them to hold themselves accountable. Our engineers are part of smaller teams inside the organization that strive to work through problems collaboratively. We work in an Agile environment where input from every developer is welcomed and everyone’s voice is heard. SharpSpring compensates based upon merit and skill level with a strong basis on practical skill sets, so existing projects are helpful in establishing experience. Overall, our team is a group of dedicated individuals working to provide the best service possible to our customers using the most innovative solutions. Our engineers tend to be passionate about new technology, have high attention to detail, and generally just enjoy writing code.
We are open to both Remote and local candidates.
Who We Are
SharpSpring is a Gainesville-bred, cloud-based automation technology platform for marketing agencies and small- to mid-sized businesses (SMBs) that rivals top competitors with its features, functionalities, and performance. We pride ourselves in knowing that our product is powerful, affordable, and accessible for everyone. Our team has grown to over 200, with 25% working from home offices across the country. We’re looking for people who like working in small teams, but are excited about being part of a fast-growing organization and enjoy the benefit of a flexible work environment.
SharpSpring Is for Everyone
We're more than just a tech company. We're real people, with real perspectives and deep respect for what makes you, you. We believe that every individual has the power to open minds, make an impact, and inspire change. Our goal at SharpSpring is to be inclusive, intersectional, and intentional about how we foster equity both at work and in our local and global community.
Find out more about what it's like to work at SharpSpring! (NASDAQ: SHSP)
Apply now and work remotely at SharpSpring
Full Stack Ruby on Rails Engineer
Blue Sky eLearn is hiring a fully remote Ruby on Rails Full Stack Engineer for our Path LMS team to help build and scale our Learning Management System. You’ll be joining the team as a talented Ruby/Rails developer who has experience with all layers of the dev stack. You have mastered all aspects, from front-end user interactions through to back-end server data management. You’re comfortable with Agile and Lean Methodologies, continuous delivery, code reviews, TDD/BDD, and pair programming.
You’ll be part of a talented core team of developers to deploy and scale the latest technologies and services on our state-of-the-art platform. You will join a highly motivated team working on building the world’s best learning platform in a hot industry. Your focus on the team will be working directly with the product manager, stakeholders, and other team members to design, implement and test new features and UX improvements on a regular basis.
This is a 100% remote, full-time salaried position averaging 40 hours per week. Candidates must be located in the United States.
- Contribute in all phases of the software development lifecycle, including but not limited to participating in DevOps tasks, design reviews, writing stories, coding modules, code reviews, unit testing and automated rspec testing
- Follow best practices including but not limited to test-driven development, continuous integration, SCRUM, refactoring and code standards
- Contribute to the collective knowledge of the team by educating and mentoring other engineers.
- Time management and problem-solving skills. Collaborate effectively with software engineers, project managers, designers and external teams in an agile environment.
- Participate in project scoping and planning, including shaping and estimating of project tasks.
- 5+ years of software development experience, preferably web and API development
- At least 2+ years of experience building Ruby/Ruby on Rails, customer-facing applications
- Knowledge of software best practices, including continuous integration and TDD / BDD using Rspec/Capybara (or similar)
- Experience with Git and a branch/pull-request flow. Familiarity with deployments on Heroku/Amazon Web Services (or similar)
- Experience working with, or an interest in Agile Methodologies and Scrum
- Experience working with Sidekiq
- Experience with Heroku
- Experience building and maintaining RESTful APIs
##Our Product Team's Values
- We communicate frequently and effectively
- We are levelheaded and compassionate
- We value diversity
- We are passionate about our work
- We maintain a healthy balance between work and life
##About Our Product
Path LMS is an award-winning and powerful learning management platform that helps associations, corporations, and agencies provide high quality online education to their members. Millions of professionals, including school administrators, lawyers, physicians, and construction contractors, have been educated through courses powered by Path LMS.
As more and more organizations have needed to utilize online education in response to the current global pandemic, the use of our online learning management system has increased dramatically. So, too, have the demands on our app’s scalability, functionality, and usability.
##About Our Hiring Process
After reviewing resumes and having a brief screening call, chosen applicants will be asked to complete a small code challenge and schedule an interview with a member of our engineering team. During the interview, we ask that you walk us through your solution to the code challenge. This is an opportunity to share with us your thought process and how you developed your solution. One-two additional interviews will be scheduled so you can meet our additional members of the team including our Product Manager and Chief Technology Officer.
Interviews are designed so we can get to know you, understand your background and experience, and answer any questions you may have. There will be no gotchas, whiteboard sessions, logic problems, trick questions, or on-the-spot technical challenges. Interviews are conducted via Zoom and we kindly ask for your permission to record them so our entire team has an opportunity to get to know you.
##Benefits & Perks
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Paid long term disability and life and AD&D insurance
- Paid vacation, sick, bereavement, volunteer and family leave
- Paid company holidays
- 401(k) program
- Remote work
- Annual professional development reimbursement
Apply now and work remotely at Blue Sky eLearn
Tech Lead Senior Startup Engineer Fellowship
Commit is building the remote-first community for software developers. We’re VC-backed, fully remote, and looking for Entrepreneurial Startup Engineers to join Commit.
If you’re selected, we’ll pay you during our 3-month program to explore roles at startups you’re passionate about as a Commit Engineering Partner.
Join the most ambitious startups, without going through their normal technical interviews. We take care of all the friction, so you can focus on finding the right fit. We hire you directly into Commit, pay you to find the right startup from a pool of vetted opportunities, let you skip those startups' normal interviewing processes, and then you get to test out startups for three months at a time until you find the perfect fit.
Members of our program have access to all of our Engineering Partners from past cohorts. Curious about what it's like to join a startup as the first engineer? Looking for the best course on Rust? Running into an issue with Terraform that you can't solve? Someone in the community has been in your shoes and can help. We’re run by engineers for engineers.
If you have 4+ years of experience in software engineering, and ambitions of excellence in your craft, apply on our website or by emailing email@example.com!
Read more about us:
- Our guide to what you can expect from our program
- What it means to be a Commit Engineering Partner on our blog
- Our website
What we offer during the program:
- Full time paid employment as an Engineering Partner
- Extended health and dental plan, for you and for your family
- The right equipment to do your best work
- Access to your own career coach and a mentor for your job search
- We provide 15 vacation days, on top of statutory holidays while you're part of the Engineering Partner program. There is no limit on Sick Days or Personal Days
- Invitation-only events with technical leaders. We’ve been lucky to have guests like Katie Wilde (VP Engineering @ Buffer), Armon Dadgar (CTO @ Hashicorp), Gokul Rajaram (board member at DoorDash, Coinbase, Pinterest and The Trade Desk) and many others join us for private learning sessions.
We are a fully distributed, remote-first community, launched in Vancouver, with posts in Toronto, San Francisco, Mexico City, and more. We raised $6M from Accomplice, Inovia Capital and Jason Warner (former CTO @ GitHub).
- 4+ years of experience in software engineering (non-internship)
- Experience working on SaaS, marketplace, consumer or infrastructure
- Entrepreneurial mindset
- Growth-oriented attitude
- Ambitions of excellence in your craft. Some of our past EPs have grown into CTOs, principal engineers, and/or joined companies as the first engineer
Our Preferred Tech Stack
- FE: One/some of: Vue.js, React, Redux
- BE: One/some of: Golang, Node.js, Ruby/Rails, Python/Django (MVC!)
We believe that language is a tool. It’s more important that you have experience with one or more modern coding languages, than that you have experience with any particular language itself.
You might also have:
- Understanding of basic DevOps: AWS, GCP, Docker, Kubernetes/Terraform, CI/CD
- Understanding of RESTful APIs and/or GraphQL
- Understanding of cloud-native distributed systems and microservices
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion:
As an early-stage startup, we know it’s critical to build inclusive processes as a part of our foundation. We are committed to building and fostering an environment where our employees feel included, valued, and heard. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, racialized people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
So what are you waiting for? Join Commit, unlock the next phase of your career. Apply on our website or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org!
Apply now and work remotely at CommitApply
We're looking for Security Engineers to join our Engineering team. In this role, you will build innovative payments products that delight both engineering and finance teams. As an early member of the engineering team, you will help shape the engineering culture of a fast-growing startup.
The core platform at Modern Treasury sits between our customers and their banks. In the same way that Twilio abstracted away the complexity of working with communication networks, we have built an easy-to-use, common interface into the banking system. Our customers use our products to do things like move money to or from their users, automate back-office work, and record their transaction ledgers. The companies that can use Modern Treasury move over $750 trillion a year via bank payments, as compared to only $2 trillion per year on card payments.
Our API is often the most critical piece of infrastructure that our customers use. We place a premium on building robust, scalable systems that can sustain a high volume of API calls and exceed the reliability requirements to move money at scale. We complement this with well-thought out interfaces for our users and pride in writing quality API docs.
We believe in using the best tool for the job, rather than always using open source or building things ourselves. We actively embrace open source in parts of our system but aren't afraid to roll our own solution for things like writing and parsing bank files. We also contribute to open source (for example, https://www.moderntreasury.com/journal/continuous-accounting-building-on-an-open-source-library).
In addition to our API, we have had a web platform since day 1 that is used by accountants, controllers, and engineers. They use our platform to do things like manage payment workflows and monitor their business. As an engineer, you will work with our product team to build products and features for these users.
ABOUT MODERN TREASURY
Modern Treasury is payment operations software for businesses with a high volume of transactions or complex payment flows. Modern Treasury automates the full cycle of money movement — from payment initiation, through approvals, to reconciliation.
Our mission is to transform the way businesses move and track money, driving toward a world where payments are real-time, reconciliation is instant, and accounting is continuous.
WEEK BY WEEK
During your first week you will:
- Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
- Onboard with the engineering team
- Ship your first commit on day 1
- Take on 1-2 small tickets to address bugs or make minor improvements
- Read our favorite industry primers
During your first six weeks you will:
- Ship your first major project
- Write your first blog post. We love writing at Modern Treasury (and have been on the front page of Hacker News multiple times with posts like "What Happens When You ACH a Dead Person?" and "How to Build an Insurance Company")
- Shadow a few customer and partner meetings every week
During your first six months you will:
- Work with our product team to scope and ship products for both our engineering and finance users
- Help grow our team by mentoring new engineers, writing internal tooling and documentation, and interviewing new hires
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Experience building web applications professionally for 2+ years
- Experience working with SQL/Relational databases
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
- Ruby on Rails for our backend framework
- React, GraphQL, and Tailwind CSS on the front end
- Postgres for our database
- Redis for caching
- AWS for infrastructure and hosting
- Docker for containerization
- GitHub for source code management
- Buildkite for continuous integration
Modern Treasury is committed to equal employment opportunity and does not discriminate in any employment opportunities or practices based on an individual's race, color, creed, gender (including gender identity and gender expression), religion (all aspects of religious beliefs, observance or practice, including religious dress or grooming practices), marital status, registered domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry (including language use restrictions and possession of a driver’s license issued under California Vehicle Code section 12801.9), natural hair, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, medical condition (including cancer or a record or history of cancer, and genetic characteristics), sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical condition), genetic information, sexual orientation, military and veteran status or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. It also prohibits unlawful discrimination based on the perception that anyone has any of those characteristics, or is associated with a person who has or is perceived as having any of those characteristics.
Apply now and work remotely at Modern Treasury
Senior Fullstack Developer
Join us at magical times where you’ll play a pivotal role in further developing and improving our UI development utilizing your expertise implementing React components and workflows.
We're currently in a phase of maintaining, fine-tuning and improving the status quo of our SDKs, and bethink of what we assume to be most important - improving the developer experience and ease to use.
- You'll be working closely with the core teams that build our UBQ Engine and our CreativeEditorSDK.
- You'll be essential in improving developer experience and product versatility by leveraging our technologies to build multiple demonstrators and appliances.
- This includes some full fledged unreleased B2C products as well as use case specific show-cases for a multitude of different products. This includes custom editors for postcards, sodical-media, apparel and more.
- You’ll build and implement pixel perfect UIs, boostrap backends and services that are directly connected to our APIs and SDKs.
- You’ll collaborate with your fellow developers, designers to directly convert ideas to real products.
- You have expertise developing professional frontends in React, Angular, VueJS or similar.
- You have expertise in creating small backends with modern technologies like Next.js, Ruby on Rails 5, or similar technoligies.
- You have a passion for technology and design.
- You are passionate about developing creative tools that help create stunning content.
- You like to work self-sufficient and feel comfortable with jumping in at the deep and, but that's okay, 'cause you are convivial fellow and social butterfly.
Apply now and work remotely at IMG.LY
Experienced Rails and or Mobile Software Engineer
Who We’re Looking For:
MyHealthTeams is looking for a mid-level or senior software engineer to join our development team. You’ll be part of a small, agile group that’s building and managing the fastest-growing social networks for people living with chronic health conditions. We are full-stack developers building both hybrid mobile apps and back-end services.
Our native apps are built with Ionic/Apache Cordova + Angular. Our back-end stack is built around Ruby on Rails, Foundation, jQuery, and MongoDB running on AWS.
We’re looking for developers with some experience in any of these core technologies, and with a readiness to learn and grow in others.
What We’re Looking For:
Familiarity with TDD/BDD
- Love of clean code
- Willingness to work on every part of the stack. Everything from native app development and full-stack Rails development to DevOps
- Motivation to work on something that makes a difference
- Bonus points for Zurb Foundation or Elasticsearch
This is a full-time position. Due to COVID-19, it is a remote position; however, if/when we can go back to an office environment, you will have the opportunity to work in our downtown San Francisco office or our midtown Sacramento office. Option to work remotely in the states in which MHT operates is possible for the right candidate. We are offering a great opportunity to make a difference in the healthcare space.
- Our corporate headquarters is in San Francisco. We have an office in Sacramento and teams on both the West and East Coasts.
- Everyone here believes in the company mission, and we are committed to serving people facing chronic conditions.
- A close-knit, hard-working company where everyone respects everyone else’s contribution to our success.
- We truly care about our employees and value a healthy work-life balance to ensure nobody burns out or feels overworked. A few of the ways we put this into action:
- Every month during the pandemic, there has been at least one company-paid holiday (and we’re planning to continue that into the future).
- We don’t deploy to production on Fridays, because if anything goes wrong, we don’t want anyone working over the weekend.
- We respect the working hours in your time zone. So regardless of where you’re located, work the hours that are best for you (as long as there is some overlap with the Pacific Time working day).
- At MyHealthTeams, we believe in investing in people with diverse experiences and backgrounds to help improve the lives of people facing chronic health conditions. To do this, we seek to:
- Attract and hire a diverse workforce
- Cultivate an environment where colleagues feel welcomed and supported
- Nurture the professional growth of employees
A Few Perks
- Unlimited PTO
- Competitive pay, benefits, and equity
- 100% remote option
MyHealthTeams is a 60+ person mission-driven company that creates social networks for people facing chronic health conditions. We believe that if you’re diagnosed with a disease such as MS, lupus, breast cancer, or diabetes (to name a few), it should be easy to find support, trusted information, and the best people around to help you. With social networks in 41 different chronic conditions and over 2.5 million members, MyHealthTeams is the fastest-growing social network in chronic health. Three years from now, if you’re diagnosed with a chronic condition, we believe your doctor will prescribe one of our social networks because being engaged in one of them will actually improve health outcomes. We develop partnerships that empower and are transparent to our members. We believe that a business can “do good” while “doing well.”
Apply now and work remotely at MyHealthTeams