At Powerpal we’re building Australia’s largest residential energy engagement platform. Our customers love us – they’re saving money on their bills and helping out with the climate crisis at the same time!
We’re full-stack from the batteries up. We design and manufacture our own IoT hardware which connects through our cross-platform mobile apps to a cutting edge cloud platform allowing us to build amazing customer experiences on top of huge volumes of data.
We build and maintain a React Native iOS/Android mobile app, a range of Go and Ruby microservice APIs running on Kubernetes, and a Bigtable/Bigquery/Dataflow big data platform – all hosted on on Google Cloud Platform.
We love clean code, automated testing, CI/CD and believe in a true devops workflow where the same team designs, builds, tests, deploys and monitors end-to-end products.
We’re a fully remote team with huge amounts of flexibility and autonomy to set your own schedule and drive your own projects. Ideally you’ll be based close to Sydney, Melbourne or Wollongong so that we can get the team together for a couple of days per month to socialise and share ideas.
A Typical Day
There are so many exciting projects to work on as the company accelerates that no two days are the same, but recently we have been mostly:
- Planning new features for customers with rooftop solar across the Powerpal hardware, mobile app and data platform.
- Building tools to support the rollout of tens of thousands of free Powerpals in Victoria with an amazing customer booking experience and geospatial logistics for our team of installers.
- Moving our terabyte scale time-series database from Postgres to Bigtable with zero downtime.
- Keeping in touch with the team over Slack and Friday afternoon Zoom beers.
- Optimising our cross-platform app to provide the best possible Bluetooth connectivity and background power management across a variety of mobile hardware.
- Ensuring that our cloud infrastructure autoscales and self-heals so that we can ignore it entirely when we’re on holiday.
- Working with our energy industry partners to launch load shifting and demand response experiences to reward customers for balancing their power usage throughout the day.
- Going to the beach on a sunny Wednesday without meetings and getting some quiet coding done on a rainy Sunday afternoon instead.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum of 3 years development experience across a range of projects, technologies and organisations across both iOS and Android.
- Ideally, you’ll have experience using our core stack (Go, Ruby, JS, Kubernetes).
- A previous lead role on a major end-to-end product delivering mobile, web and backend components.
- Significant experience building web-based APIs and their associated data stores (both SQL and NOSQL).
- At least one major project involving big data storage and asynchronous data processing.
- A demonstrated ability to work autonomously and take ownership of teams delivering end-to-end products.
- A background in deploying and owning cloud services (we use Google Cloud, but AWS or Azure will transfer perfectly).
What You’ll Get To Do
- Lead teams delivering user-facing projects with end-to-end features that touch the React Native mobile app, our backend APIs and our big data platform.
- Build a beautiful mobile user experience to help our customers see their power and use it improve their lifestyle.
- Build new tools to support manufacturing, rollout logistics and fleet management of tens of thousands of IoT devices.
- Take a leading role in driving our future mobile direction. Should we be considering dedicated native apps? Should we be using Typescript? How can we make our user experience even better?
- Integrate with our existing backend APIs and get involved in the design and development of new APIs to support the mobile app’s needs.
- Work on hard problems around scaling real-time data feeds with gigabytes of time-series data arriving every day.
- Share ownership of the whole Powerpal system and take responsibility for ensuring that the projects you work on can be deployed, monitored, and maintained without friction.
- Improve the quality of our existing codebases and expand our automated unit testing to include higher level end-to-end testing in multiple environments.
- Help to set the direction for a great developer experience from the laptop to the cloud as we scale our build, test and deployment processes to support a larger team.
- Up to $180k plus super (depending on your specific experience).
- Negotiable equity (options) in a profitable and rapidly growing startup.
- A new Macbook Pro or equivalent value in mobile devices and home office upgrades as necessary.
- A free Powerpal for your home
It doesn’t get better than this! Work at the cutting edge of development as part of this hands-on role whilst helping to drive the development strategy roadmap for an ambitious, growth phase tech start up. An industry leading salary and benefits package is on offer to the successful candidate. Apply now
Apply now and work remotely at Powerpal
Senior Frontend Engineer
#Sr. Frontend Engineer
(Don't be shy! Multiple openings also available at basically all levels.)
As a senior member of the DataKitchen product development team you will get a fast-paced startup experience. Design and develop our market-defining SaaS DataOps product. Work directly with company founders and customers. Contribute to our continuously improving Agile development process.
Successful candidates will have top technical skills, excellent attention to detail, the ability to self-manage, and enthusiasm for our inclusive and supportive culture.
This is a remote-only position. Our company is committed to being remote-first. We have employees in Cambridge MA, various other states, Buenos Aires Argentina, the Dominican Republic, Sicily, Brazil and other locations.
- Frontend product development experience
- Ability to deliver well-tested and performant code in a CI/CD pipeline
- An agile, customer-oriented mindset
- Enthusiasm, curiosity and drive!
You must be physically located within GMT+1 (e.g. Italy) to GMT-8 (e.g. CA). We will not consider candidates outside those time zones. Why? Because we value close collaboration and working sane hours. We do not work with recruiters. Everyone else, if in doubt please reach out!
##Qualifications That Are a Plus
- Experience creating REST Apis in Python
- Experience developing against cloud platform Apis (e.g. AWS, GCP, etc.)
- Experience with Kubernetes and/or Docker
- Experience creating products for developers, data engineers, data scientists or data analysts
We make our customers wildly successful while respecting each employee and person we work with. We move fast, love and learn from our errors, and fall forward. We embrace Agile Values and Principles.
To apply send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: DataKitchen, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable US federal, state and local laws. DataKitchen, Inc. complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. DataKitchen, Inc. expressly prohibits any form of unlawful employee harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of DataKitchen, Inc. employees to perform their expected job duties is absolutely not tolerated.
DataKitchen enables analytic teams to deliver value quickly, with high quality, using the tools that they love. DataKitchen provides the world’s first DataOps platform for data-driven enterprises. We give our customers the ability to support data analytics that can be quickly and robustly adapted to meet evolving requirements. DataKitchen is leading the DataOps movement to incorporate Agile Software Development, DevOps, and manufacturing based statistical process control into analytics and data management. The Company is headquartered in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Apply now and work remotely at DataKitchenApply