Frontend Software Engineer
We built Metabase because existing tools for business intelligence didn’t feel like things we wanted to use. We wanted faster, simpler ways to ask questions about data, and wanted to strip away the colder feel of most Enterprise software. Folks seemed to agree, and now Metabase is used daily by tens of thousands of companies to give people in all sorts of roles access to insights they wouldn’t have otherwise had. None of this could happen without our user interface and that’s where you come in. We’re looking for someone with strong product sensibilities, extraordinarily good frontend skills, and solid software engineering fundamentals to join our team to advance the state of the art in our product and our industry.
Why choose Metabase
- The problems we face are genuinely interesting and aren’t trivial. Data influences so much of our world but isn’t that easy to interact with or understand. You’ll make tools that people rely on for their real jobs.
- You’ll get to work in open source and get feedback directly from users and customers out in the open.
- The company is growing and so is the business. We’re adding new remote team members from around the world and improving our processes. It’s an exciting time and you can really have an impact on how things work here.
- We’ve tried to design our work environment to fit into real life. Work is only one part of who you are, so we emphasize reasonable workdays and prefer planning and avoiding panic. People at Metabase have families, dogs, plants, and lives outside of work and we try to support that however we can.</li>
What we’re looking for:
- You care about crafting delightful user experiences. You like to write code to enable people to do something and you understand that details and things like copy matter. If your focus is only on code this might not be the best role for you.
- You have experience writing tests, giving good feedback on other people’s code, and writing proposals for more complicated problems that are thoughtful and clear. As we’re a remote company (even outside of pandemics) communication and clarity are really important.
- Due to the nature of what we work on, computer science-y problems come up frequently. We’re not picky about a specific degree or accolade, but you’ll be expected to write fast and performant code and deal with a fair bit of data structure manipulation regularly.
- We like everyone to care about the nuts and bolts of how to make things look good, so you’ll be expected to use our style guide and if necessary write or update our CSS, so comfort in CSS and familiarity with things like design systems and component libraries is a necessity.
Not essential, but nice to have:
- Knowledge and prior experience with data visualization (especially if it has involved dc.js and d3.js).
- Previous contributions to open source (not a requirement, but a huge plus).
- Either pre-existing knowledge or interest in learning some Clojure, the language much of the backend of our application is written in.
The types of problems you'd get to work on:
- Lightning fast interaction with data. Think things like letting people see all the orders that came in from a specific region by clicking directly on a custom map of their sales regions and then letting them filter that list visually by directly interacting with the data table - and all of this happening in a responsive and delightful way.
- Augmenting visualizations. To allow for people to further institutional knowledge, build the feature to allow annotations directly on specific data points in a line chart, and then determine how to expose those when it makes sense across dashboards and the entire app.
- Wayfinding. We want to make sure people don’t have to do work that’s already been done, so build new ways to surface important metrics or segments to the right users across Metabase.
- Embedded analytics. We have customers who deliver analytics to their own users via our embed product. You’d get to tackle the problem of making sure those can match their own products visually and enable easier integration of the embeds into their own code.
Apply now and work remotely at Metabase
Senior Frontend Engineer
We are building the world's premier Operational Intelligence platform for Blockchain. We strive to develop our systems by observing the best practices of our craft; this means writing testable, performant, easy to maintain and constantly improving code, while enabling our company to iterate our product fast and stay ahead.
These are the early days of our platform, and as a Senior Frontend Engineer you will be able to contribute, influence and take ownership in significant parts of our products, including their UI/UX.
If you are a Senior Frontend Engineer, with a solid understanding of design systems, large modular and testable Typescript applications, with passion for great software products and visualizations, join us!
What this position is all about:
- Designing and developing the frontend SPAs that will constitute the bulk of our product offerings for Blockchain Operational Intelligence. You will be expected to demonstrate expertise in writing testable Typescript using React/Redux, a keen eye for performant, intuitive modern web applications and passion for making the best products possible.
- Working under a Scrum or Kanban framework and releasing product increments on a continuous basis.
- Owning your work. This means writing unit tests, observability/instrumentation and documentation for your code, as well as resolving issues and fixing bugs whenever they make their appearance.
- Understanding, participating and contributing to the company goals, regardless of your role. Metrika is a small company with a very inclusive culture. We are looking for people that share those values with us and can work well across teams and individual roles.
Please note: Our Engineering team is predominantly based in Europe. This position is currently open to residents of the European Union (UTC through UTC+2/UTC+3), and those residents of the eastern United States/Canada (UTC-4/UTC-5) only.
Metrika Inc. is an Equal Opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered without regard for race, color, national origin, ethnicity, gender, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or religion.
NO AGENCIES, OUTSOURCING COMPANIES, 'TEAMS-FOR-HIRE' PLEASE
You will need:
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science. Masters or higher degrees preferred.
- At least 4 years of experience in building production-grade modern SPAs using React/Redux. Experience with programming in Typescript is a plus, as are experience in hooks-based React and jest/enzyme.
- Excellent understanding of TDD, agile development methodology and use of distributed version control systems.
- The ability to function autonomously to solve problems, and deliver working software. Our geographic distribution requires people that can work well on their own.
- The ability to communicate well with your team, both interactively and asynchronously, and that of being a positive, constructive team member.
You'll probably be a great fit if you have:
- Experience with building monitoring, analytics, BI and visualization systems.
- Familiarity with the blockchain world and technologies.
- Experience in SSR/SSG React-based frameworks, e.g. next.js, gatsby.js
- Experience with end-to-end testing web frameworks and technologies, e.g. Selenium.
- Experience in implementing design systems using React, as well as familiarity with Figma/Sketch-driven frontend application design.
Apply now and work remotely at Metrika