Higher Education is in crisis. The cost of education is skyrocketing, while only 33% of students in the US graduate in four years and issues of equity and access are worsening.
At Coursedog, we believe Higher Ed's reliance on outdated software is the root of the problem. 75% of universities operate entirely on legacy, on-premise software, resulting in millions of frustrated students saddled with heaps of debt.
Coursedog's mission is to break down barriers in Higher Education. To do so, we are building a modern operating system for Higher Education: from supercharging the student scheduling experience to empowering administrators with analytics that graduate more students in less time. Our vision is to build software that enables the $800b Higher Education market to reach its highest ideals to facilitate upward mobility, equity and positive change.
Coursedog has raised $23m in venture capital as a hypergrowth startup backed by YC, First Round Capital and has tripled its employee headcount over the last 1.5 years. We were recently ranked in Forbes top 500 US startup employers and our employee engagement scores rank in the top 5% of tech companies. You can learn more about our culture here.
We are looking for a Backend Node.JS Engineer to join the Coursedog engineering team. The ideal candidate will be a proven technologist, passionate about software engineering, and have deep technical understanding of technologies such as Node.js. The position will be responsible for our backend services, infrastructure, and databases, and is also likely to touch the frontend quite a bit as well.
As a company, we value diversity and inclusion. We encourage people from underrepresented groups to apply.
What You Will Do:
- Use Node.js, MongoDB, and other BE tools to design and implement the underlying application logic and database structure powering our APIs.
- Improving our AWS infrastructure and overall application performance
- Work closely with other developers and infrastructure engineers to analyze and design the application architecture, and implement the functional requirements.
- Understand the needs of our clients to develop and improve the end-user experience.
- Collaborate with product managers to develop and enhance our products according to our product roadmap and business strategy
- Naturally curious and willing to step into the user’s shoes
- 5+ years of backend development experience
- Full professional proficiency in English
- Deep technical knowledge and expertise in BE technologies and tools (Node.js, Express, MongoDB)
- Demonstrated experience with designing REST APIs
- Familiar with building SPAs and using Git for version control
- Experience with building complicated, enterprise-level systems
- Experience with unit and e2e testing
- Owners mentality
- Comfortable with working in a fully remote team
Bonus Points for Any of These Skills:
- 5+ years of development experience for web applications, especially in b2b saas
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related field
- Experience working for a high-growth start-up
- Big + for experience in higher education
- Familiarity with frontend frameworks such as Vue.JS
Flexible work hours - we have no weekly hour minimums or specified work times. Work whenever you want to, at a pace and time of day that you prefer.
Expectations of time off - we push all team members to take off at least 17 days per year. However, this is entirely your choice, and time off can be taken whenever you want/need it.
Remote-first company - We believe remote work is an approach to work, not just working from home, and spend much of our energy on fostering trust and psychological safety in our digital space.
Lots of other benefits
Apply now and work remotely at Coursedog