Front-end Jobs nearSalt Lake City, UT
Senior Back End Engineer
Radical candor? More like radical gander, right?
Ok, enough goose puns for the moment, but now that we’ve got your attention, allow us to tell you more about this company called GooseChase and why might you want to join us!
You love an app that makes you smile, right? Well our product is a lot of fun. And even though our origins are that of a humble scavenger hunt app, we’ve now evolved (hatched?) into a super-flexible platform used by millions to create all sorts of experiences! It’s all the best parts of a scavenger hunt, with a delightful twist to keep you coming back for more.
With all that fun and flexibility, we’ve been growing like crazy. For teachers in the classroom, we’re the new “TV cart”, aka the learning tool that students legitimately look forward to. For today’s workplaces, virtual or otherwise, we help the team connect with each other to the point where they want to come into (or logon) to work. And for local cities and towns, we bring families together in a way that truly builds a sense of community.
But we’re also unique in that we don’t have any investors and, as a result, are able to put our people before profit. Seriously. We have a profit sharing program specifically for this reason! It also means we grow at the pace we want to and put the time into making this the best possible place to work. When we do something, it’s because it’s the best thing for our team and our customers, no matter what. We’ve actually been fully remote from the very beginning, because we wanted our people to have the flexibility to live wherever and however they wanted!
So what exactly is this job?
If you’re looking for impact & ownership, this is about as good as it gets. You’ll have the opportunity to take lead on our back-end tech stack going forward, charting our technical path, contributing to our product direction and helping shape the team as we grow!
From a day to day perspective, you’ll be a core member of our cross-functional product development team, focused on both the game organizer and participant experiences. Within our product team, there are no silos or artificial barriers, meaning you’ll be working closely with other engineers and designers! Whatever will help give our customers the best experience possible!
We recognize building the best products requires using the best tools, so we empower our engineers through access to the best tools and hardware available to remove barriers and enable fast iterating, robust code deployments.
In terms of technologies, you’ll be working closely with our front-end engineers as well as developing our API and async task system which:
- Is currently based on Django / TastyPie / Celery, with plans to migrate to a Node.js-based architecture (that’s where you come in!)
- Stores data in Postgresql, with images & videos in S3
- Utilizes redis and memcached for caching, session storage, and async task result storage
- Runs on Linode, switching over shortly to our new kubernetes-based cluster
- Powers our mobile applications and web-based game manager
Looking at how we work, our methodologies are:
- Continuous integration using CircleCI to empower developer autonomy and shorten development cycles
- Agile, with two week sprint cycles
- Daily async check-ins - stay connected to the team, but without zombie standups
- Project management in Asana, with our “office” taking place on Slack & Zoom - we have a very strong gif game
How do you know if this might be for you?
At GooseChase you’ll be working alongside a team of highly motivated, world-class engineers with tons of opportunities for learning, growth, and mentorship. Our product team works closely together, so we are extremely selective about who we hire to ensure the calibre of our engineering talent remains high. Be prepared to bring your ‘A’ game!
We understand that relevant experience comes in all shapes and sizes and the ability to do the job is all that matters. With that in mind, we aren’t going to put together a generic list of all the requirements that we’re looking for with this job, however, there are certain things we are looking for - specifically:
- Have you been able to collaborate & communicate successfully with others in a cross-functional team?
- Do you have very high standards for your work and desire to work with other talented people?
- Have you succeeded at architecting and implementing APIs that have been used by lots of people?
- Are you passionate about full stack development and the web ecosystem?
- Do you bring a depth of expertise in security and performance best practices?
- Are you experienced in developing production-grade web systems that are performant and fault-tolerant at scale?
- Are you based in the GMT-4 to GMT-8 time zones (North America), so you can work closely with our distributed product team?
- Can you get down with an uncomfortable amount of goose puns?
Ok the last one isn’t super work related, but we honestly do have a lot of goose puns. It’s one of our favourite parts of our culture!
We do things differently here. We’re all about fun, but also making an impact. We care deeply about working with amazing people, and have set up our company culture specifically for that - our compensation is competitive, our work environment is autonomous and collaborative, and our emphasis is on learning and growth. Put simply, it’s the type of company we actually want to work at ourselves!
So, this is us, standing in front of you, asking you to join us.
Apply now and work remotely at GooseChase
Senior Back End Engineer
MarcoPolo is reinventing early learning children's media for a new generation. The company is a top global publisher of award-winning educational games and videos for children age 3-7. We inspire children to become explorers and life-long learners. We make STEAM learning an adventure, filled with the thrills and joys of discovery, for early learners, parents and educators.
Apps include our flagship subscription-based app, Emmy-nominated MarcoPolo World School, and a suite of free-to-play apps (Weather, Arctic, Recall and Ocean). MarcoPolo also produces award-winning content for broadcast. Our TV series, The Polos, is broadcast worldwide, including Discovery Family (USA), NatGeo (LatAm), YouKu (China) and Nickelodeon (India).
We are looking for a highly motivated and skilled Senior Full-stack Engineer to join our team. MarcoPolo is entering a new phase of growth, and this is a unique opportunity to join a proven and maturing business and technology team, as a key member of the development team.
The ideal candidate will have at least 10 years of experience in developing complex applications using different programming code languages and frameworks both on front-end and back-end. The right candidate will be a start-up ready team player, willing to push the bar to achieve ambitious targets and not afraid to face new challenges. Hungry to learn and share their knowledge, passionate about programming and new technologies.
- Strong development background in Java Spring Boot (min version 8)
- Experience of Angular (latest versions), HTML5 SCSS
- Experience of web component programming for web products
- Deep knowledge of platform architecture and AWS infrastructure, Docker and its use for AWS deployment
- Experience of developing serverless architecture and high availability architectures and catastrophe recovery techniques
- Capable of reproducing pixel perfect designs for various devices and screens sizes
- Deep knowledge of payments system (Apple and Android platforms and Web payments)
- Deep understanding of web security and content protection
- Great knowledge of good programming principles
- Good working practices of producing clear and up-to-date documentation
- Experience of managing junior developers
- Solution-driven attitude
Nice to have:
- Experience of video streaming architecture and products
- Experience of performance optimization
- Experience in mobile applications (ideally Unity)
- Experience of GraphQL, ElasticSearch and new way of serving data to multiple clients
Competitive salary based on experience, with benefits/incentives to be discussed.
We want to recruit the best talent for the next phase of company growth. MarcoPolo Learning is based in London, New York and Shanghai. We operate a remote working model and will prioritize the best candidate in any location.
Apply now and work remotely at MarcoPolo LearningApply
Remotesome helps experienced engineers get full-time remote jobs at companies who hire remotely. We have an open position for a senior Fullstack developers with a motivation to lead smaller team.
We help our clients (companies) hire great engineers for fully remote positions.
- Companies will reach out to you and not the other way around
- Compensation requirements are transparent upfront
- One application, access to multiple companies
- If we see you are fit for the company, we will connect you in less than 24 hours and get you on an interview
- 1 in 4 engineers interviewed by a company gets hired
- We do one! vetting process which gets you access to multiple companies
- You stay in the talent pool seen by companies until you get a job
- Completely free for developers
- 3+ years of experience working as a fullstack engineer
- Working with Typescript is a bonus
- Experience working with AWS, MySQL is a big bonus
- Experience working with Docker, Terraform
- Experience designing and working with RestAPI and GraphQL is a plus
- Have experience leading smaller teams
- Good communications skills
Apply now and work remotely at Remotesome
Jobs farther away
Node.js Developer / Consultant (FT, Remote)
**Bitovi helps companies create better web applications. **
We are looking for candidates to help build complex and high-profile web applications within our consulting practice. We guide our clients to build things the "right way": maintainable, scalable, tested, documented, etc.
**Our developers are *consultantswho are knowledgeable and proficient communicators, and are able to help enterprise clients make the right decisions for their applications.*
**Hello Potential Bitovian *sums it up well (short read!)***
**We are looking for a candidate with the following attributes: **
- Experience developing applications at the enterprise level
- Proven ability to deliver real-work solutions and platforms
- Ability to lead a team and be an integral part of a team
- Experience working with clients or other stakeholders directly. A people person.
- Willing and able to travel onsite, to a Chicago office 1-2 weeks per month
- Doesn't mind a bit of travel, averaging one week every couple of months
- Strong, working knowledge of Node.js
- Payment integrations, 3rd party integrations, and/or Redis
- Handling complex scaling issues (sessions, locked lists), tiered caching, sharding data, and sticky load balancing
- Developing modern, micro-service-based web applications
- Complex systems and API Integrations
- Some full stack experience (Deployment, Database, and Frontend)
Other Skills we value:
- Source control with Git.
- Environments setup, secure configuration, and deployments (AWS, Docker, CloudFoundry, Heroku, etc.)
- Server and browser security
- Database schema design and development experience for both SQL and NoSQL systems.
- Understanding and implementing authentication - know when it's appropriate to use sessions, API tokens, JWT, cookies or a mix.
- Authorization and access control - Role-based, and attribute-based
- Concurrency and scaling application servers.
- The Microservice architecture
- Logging, rate limiting
- Test driven development and benchmarking
In addition to client work, you'll have the opportunity to shape a growing company by applying your talent and passion towards an area of interest. Bitovi developers:
- Speak at conferences
- Give trainings
- Run meet ups
- Maintain open source projects
- Write articles
- Competitive salary and yearly bonuses
- Bi-annual company retreats (previously in Las Vegas, New Orleans, and Amelia Island)
- 401(k) plan with matching
- 4 weeks of paid vacation per year
- Health and dental insurance
- Gym membership reimbursement
- Maternity / Paternity leave
Interested in Applying at Bitovi?
Write a resume and a thoughtful intro that shows us that you're the kind of person we've described above. Your intro should include:
1 - Why you are interested in this role
2 - Something you worked on recently that you are proud of
3 - A fun fact about yourself
If you have any specific salary requirements or other conditions, make sure to include those as well.
*Please note that we are not interested in working with recruiters at this time. All job offers are contingent on passing a background check.Apply