Front-end Jobs nearSan Francisco, CA
Before you start reading, keep in mind that the aim of this job ad is to give you a feel for what it’s like to work at Catapult. There’s lots of research that suggests people often don’t apply because of so-called “requirements” in a job description. If you’re an experienced React engineer with some commercial experience in either Ruby on Rails or Elixir + Phoenix, we’d like to hear from you!
What you’re getting yourself in for
Our mission is to build the world’s best part time job. We spend our time thinking about how to give a global workforce complete control of their own work life while automating the hundreds of thousands of man hours which would normally be required to manage people on this scale.
We do this using React & Typescript on the frontend backed up by GraphQL servers, some written in Ruby and Rails and some in Elixir and Phoenix.
Businesses ranging from the largest high-street retailers to five star hotels and independent coffee boutiques rely on Catapult as their casual workforce. If you’ve spent time in a large UK city, you’ve probably been served by a Catapult waiter or sales assistant without even realising it!
We’re well funded by some amazing investors, our product is live in over 100 locations across the UK and we’ve recently launched in Berlin making us the first and only pan-european player in this space.
Our company values https://writing.joincatapult.com/our-values/ are really important to us and influence every facet of how we work together.
About the role
We’ve been growing rapidly over the last three years and as we continue our international roll out, we’re looking for ambitious engineers to help us build the future of work. Our engineering principles https://writing.joincatapult.com/engineering-principles/ give a good feel for how we work together and what we value.
We’re a distributed, remote first engineering organisation with team members in Prague, Warsaw, London, Bristol and Bangkok. We work in autonomous pods, each of which has ownership of one area of our business. We’re open to remote applicants from anywhere within the EU.
As well as being a part of a well funded startup at one of the most exciting phases of it’s growth, you’ll get:
- Competitive salary + stock options + 25 days paid holiday per year
- A strong approach to professional development and mentorship, everyone has a dedicated L&D budget for books, training and the like
- Several product retreats per year where the whole team goes on a team retreat, looks back on how we can improve and then spends a week or so hacking on new ideas and exploring new technologies
- Regular social events & the opportunity to travel to our other offices
- Company Macbook Pro which you’re free to take home
- A flexible work environment focussed on output not hours
Apply now and work remotely at Catapult
Senior Frontend Engineer (React Native)
If you have a soft spot for bootstrapped, profitable, remote companies with a meaningful product, and you want to use your frontend development skills for good, you’ll like this.
Drops’ goal is to turn language learning into a delightful game while ensuring effective learning. Drops is one of the top10 most innovative education companies according to FastCompany. Our app is in the Appstore for 3+ years, teaches 35 languages, was featured by both the App Store and Play Store multiple times - App of the Year in 2018 on the Play Store - and the company is still run by the founders. We are a small, super-capable remote team mainly spread across Europe (we have a small marketing crew in California) . We’re working synchronously, so time zones matter for us. We communicate via Slack, Github and Monday. We want to be the no.1 app for vocabulary learning and we are getting there quickly with our current user base of 18 million, a monthly active of >1,500,000 and an average store rating of 4.7.
You can find us here: https://languagedrops.com
You’ll be a core part of the development team, working on both our main (Drops) and auxiliary products (Droplets, Visual Dictionary, Internal CMS tools). This means a lot of ownership, which we cultivate by having a flat structure.
You’re a no-nonsense person, who is comfortable taking on larger projects, who has been working in working at a product company and has extensive front-end development experience.
You have been working with React or React Native for years, have deep knowledge of everything that’s happening in the browser or in a mobile client and looking for challenges in growing a product from an already large userbase to tens of millions of MAU, with all the complexity that’s involved in that.
You strongly prefer static typing over dynamic languages, and use every opportunity to transform code that doesn’t use types into code that does. You generally prefer to use a minimal set of simple tools to a diverse range of complex ones.
You like to have a variety of projects - at this job, you’ll be developing a complex web app, a static site generator (react-static), building internal automation infrastructure/tools and contributing to our internal content management system.
We’re building a small, but super capable team. You’re naturally more interested in the fate of the product & driven to grow professionally than in managing people.
We value clear and honest communication and transparency, it’s the linchpin of our culture and current success and freedom. You will be involved in both high and low level decision making and will be available during European working hours (9AM - 6PM GMT).
We are looking for a missionary rather than a mercenary.
What’d be different here:
- We’re a small team. We’re optimising for impact, not for headcount. You’ll be carefully considering any tradeoff that would lead to increased complexity.
- We’re using a single programming language - TypeScript. We have strict linter rules. Every pull request needs to be approved before it lands in master. We use the rebase workflow.
- We’re using React + Redux to develop UI, on both mobile and the web. We use selectors extensively. Our backend is on AWS, deployed to Lambda.
- We’re doing things in a functional way, concentrating state, minimising side effects and making dependencies explicit. We’re sharing 98%+ of the code between Android, iOS and Web.
- We’re writing software with a web developer’s mindset.
- We automate where it has positive ROI.
- Our biggest challenge is (and will remain): managing the complexity of sharing a lot of code between different apps.
- We’re not building a hierarchy. We’re encouraging everyone to be autonomous.
Apply now and work remotely at Drops
Fullstack Engineer (Rails/React)
Upright Labs is looking for full stack engineers who want to work up and down the stack.
About Upright Labs
Upright Labs builds multichannel ecommerce software for retailers. We make it really easy for second-hand retailers to manage inventory and sell online, everywhere. Our software processes thousands of items each month and has helped retailers sell millions in inventory.
Our stack is Rails on the backend with React.js with Typescript on the frontend, backed by a Postgres DB. We run everything on AWS and Heroku, logging with LogDNA, CI with Circle CI, error tracking with Sentry, and source code on Github. We constantly evolve our stack and are always on the lookout for new exciting technologies.
- You're a hacker. You love to code, read Hacker News, and constantly push yourself to try new web technologies.
- Highly motivated and care deeply about good code.
- You have strong opinions, weakly held. You're not afraid to standup for what you believe in but are empathetic and open to change.
- You're a self starter who wants to push out code on day 1.
- You're a go-getter, want to expand your skills, and dive deep into code to figure out and tackle hard problems.
- Have 2+ years experience working on larger-scale web applications.
Apply now and work remotely at Upright Labs
Jobs farther away
Software Developer (Frontend)
We request that you have:
Experience with at least one modern UI framework (e.g. React, Vue)
Ability to interpret and implement UI from static mock-ups.
Experience with TypeScript
Written code compatible with multiple browsers / responsive design
An understanding of source control standards and versioning systems such as Git
5 years of relevant experience
A bonus if you have experience with:
Azure Web Services and DevOps
CSS pre-processing platforms such as SCSS and postCSS
Image authoring, and prototyping tools.