Front-end Jobs nearSan Francisco, CA
Principal Software Engineer (Fully Remote) E-Comm experience required
The RealReal is the world’s largest online marketplace for authenticated, consigned luxury goods. We are seeking a Principal Software Engineer to help us solve some of our toughest and most interesting challenges as we continue to scale. Reporting directly to our VP of Engineering, this is a spanning role that will affect multiple areas of the business.
As a Principal Software Engineer, you’ll spend about 40% of your time on architecture, mentoring, thought leadership, and guiding teams around the company as they establish or update best practices for software development. You’ll participate in guild (community of practice) meetings, architecture review sessions, organize training for engineers, and otherwise help ensure that we maintain a cohesive and modern technology vision while still empowering teams to move fast. You’ll partner with senior technical leadership to establish north stars of our technology vision. You’ll represent the company at conferences and other speaking engagements from time to time.
With the other 60% of your time, you’ll dive in and actively develop that future! You’ll typically start the work on some of our most challenging projects, laying out the foundational architecture and actively contributing code. In most cases, you’ll bring in other engineers from around the company as these initiatives grow, eventually handing it off to Staff Engineers as you go to tackle the next challenge.
Propose and build technical architecture and solutions to move our business forward.
Advise and collaborate with senior engineering leadership on technical vision and strategy across a multi-year timeframe.
Build a deep understanding of The RealReal’s business model, opportunities, and challenges.
Provide technical direction and mentorship for engineers across the organization.
Drive build vs buy evaluations, including research and initial assessment with vendors.
Assist in coordinating cross-team engineering efforts and determining technical requirements.
Review technical architecture proposals and pull requests and provide constructive feedback.
Produce high-quality, performant, testable code, and systems.
Document architecture and processes, and uplevel them across the company.
Represent the company at conferences and other events, helping us to build brand awareness and attract talent.
Minimum Work Experience:
12+ years of professional web application/full-stack development experience.
2+ years leading a high-performance engineering team or organization, in a fast-paced environment.
Fluency with any of Ruby, Elixir, Erlang, or another object-oriented or functional programming language.
Strong understanding of distributed systems and architecture.
Strong understanding of web-app performance fundamentals and related dev tools.
Strong database fundamentals and experience with MySql or PostgreSQL.
Experience using async message queues such as Kafka or Kinesis.
Rainforest QA is an on-demand QA solution. It’s our mission to enable development teams to deliver bug-free software while moving at the speed of continuous delivery. We are truly a global team, allowing us to bring together the best and most diverse talent. Our commitment to the distributed team model and to our company values has earned us multiple culture and workplace awards and helped us build a diverse team of individuals working toward the same goal: change the way QA is done.
Senior Engineer (Frontend)
As a Senior Engineer at Rainforest QA you'll be part of an experienced and diverse team with members all over the world.
We were built as a distributed team from the beginning and we've committed to implementing tools and processes that allow for and support continuous and effective communication across the world.
What you'll do
- Work on the Rainforest QA dashboard, our single page application where users manage their test suite, configure test runs, review results and set up their account
- Work on our tester application, where our crowd of testers connect to our virtual machine infrastructure to conduct tests and submit their results
- Work on internal tooling to improve the development experience of other engineers and ship faster and safer
- Collaborate with product managers and our customer facing teams to analyze customer problems and design high impact features
- Lead projects to implement those features
- Help other team members to achieve their goals
- Continuously learn about new technologies and ways to solve problems
- Work with our customer facing teams to triage, troubleshoot, and fix bugs
- Write unit and integration tests (using our own product!) to ship high quality software
What we’re looking for
- Extensive experience in React (or equivalent framework / libraries) and be extremely knowledgeable of the framework and associated ecosystem
- Experience in writing and maintaining CSS for large projects
- Enthusiasm with building web applications using modern tools like ES7, React, Redux, CSS Modules, Flow, and Webpack - amongst others
- Practical experience of working on a Ruby on Rails codebase
- Even though this position is mainly frontend focused, we expect you to have some grasp of the whole stack to be able to effectively communicate with engineers across the team, and can make backend or infrastructure changes when the situation calls for it
- Professional experience in engineering SaaS products
- Experience leading projects with teams
- An ownership mindset: you should look not only at what you’re asked to do, but ask why you’re doing it and how it impacts on the rest of the product, our customers, and whether it makes sense. We expect you to be responsible for your work and to resolve any bugs you might ship
- Excitement to learn
- Excellent communication skills and able to give and receive constructive feedback
- Happy to review code and have your code reviewed
- Can work effectively remotely with remote team members (we are a fully distributed company)
- Comfortable working in a large codebase with many stakeholders
Identify with our company values
- No BS, No Ego: We are radically candid with each other in every interaction. This means a lack of politics, a lack of showboating, a lack of BS. This also means brevity, clarity of thought, and clarity of communication. We give and take feedback without ego, with the knowledge that we all are operating with good intent. No ego is the check system to balance no BS and keep it kind. No ad-hominem attacks.
- 1% better every day: Continuous improvement is what motivates us. We design our product, our organization and our careers to be continually improving. Mistakes are only bad if they are repeated. Experiments are only wasted if they are not learned from.
- Own the journey: We are all owners. We demand that of each other. The journey we own is threefold: our customers’ journey, our company’s journey and our personal journey. Our reason for existence is to nail our customer journey, so that we can scale our company’s success.
How we'll reward you
- Flexible, remote work options
- Competitive salary with equity.
- A locally-adjusted weekly allowance for lunches.
- A locally-adjusted monthly allowance for remote office supplies or personal development.
- Unlimited paid-time off.
- 3 offsites per year: every ~4 months we arrange an offsite for the whole company to get together so we can get to know our colleagues better and understand what we need to do. The location is ever changing, so you will get to see some new places! (currently on-hold due to COVID-19)
United States Residents Only:
- 100% medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage. 75% for dependents.
- Voluntary 401k program.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
At Rainforest QA we believe that diverse teams improve our business. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Apply now and work remotely at Rainforest QA
Senior Full Stack Developer
TalkJS lets developers build a perfect chat feature in just a few hours. We power communication in online marketplaces, community sites, trading platforms and so on.
We're product driven and we care tremendously about quality: We're out to build the tool that every developer worldwide will use to build chat/communication features. TalkJS touches millions of people and is growing quickly.
We're hiring smart & autonomous people to solve challenging problems. We think you ship your best work when you're happy, well-rested, have a healthy work/life balance, and get full autonomy to make the right calls. More info on https://talkjs.com/jobs.
Senior Fullstack Developer
We want TalkJS to be the default tool for developers to build chat features. To accomplish that vision, we need to make TalkJS deliciously customizable and still fantastic out of the box.
We're looking to extend the team with someone who has broad front- and backend experience. Stack includes React/TypeScript/Elixir but it's OK if you're not experienced with all of those precisely. Our humble goal is to ship a product that's super simple to install, fantastic to use immediately, and infinitely customizable. Simple and customizable seem deeply at odds with each other, but we think we can pull it off. If you're up for the challenge of marrying the two, then this is for you.
We offer tremendous freedom and responsibility + work in a remarkably decent codebase (for a startup :D). At TalkJS we like to think that we're good at striking a balance between meticulous code and shipping quickly. If that sounds like your kind of environment, then this is for you.
Our ideal candidate:
- has broad technical interests
- likes to design great APIs for other programmers
- has demonstrable experience writing single-page web applications
- has demonstrable experience writing backends
- knows at least 3 programming languages well
- likes to work together with the team to make our product better across the board
Bonus points if you know Elixir.
Salary varies with seniority and is benchmarked to Dutch/Amsterdam norms.
Apply now and work remotely at TalkJS