Front-end Jobs nearSeattle, WA
Senior Frontend Engineer (React Native)
If you have a soft spot for bootstrapped, profitable, remote companies with a meaningful product, and you want to use your frontend development skills for good, you’ll like this.
Drops’ goal is to turn language learning into a delightful game while ensuring effective learning. Drops is one of the top10 most innovative education companies according to FastCompany. Our app is in the Appstore for 3+ years, teaches 35 languages, was featured by both the App Store and Play Store multiple times - App of the Year in 2018 on the Play Store - and the company is still run by the founders. We are a small, super-capable remote team mainly spread across Europe (we have a small marketing crew in California) . We’re working synchronously, so time zones matter for us. We communicate via Slack, Github and Monday. We want to be the no.1 app for vocabulary learning and we are getting there quickly with our current user base of 18 million, a monthly active of >1,500,000 and an average store rating of 4.7.
You can find us here: https://languagedrops.com
You’ll be a core part of the development team, working on both our main (Drops) and auxiliary products (Droplets, Visual Dictionary, Internal CMS tools). This means a lot of ownership, which we cultivate by having a flat structure.
You’re a no-nonsense person, who is comfortable taking on larger projects, who has been working in working at a product company and has extensive front-end development experience.
You have been working with React or React Native for years, have deep knowledge of everything that’s happening in the browser or in a mobile client and looking for challenges in growing a product from an already large userbase to tens of millions of MAU, with all the complexity that’s involved in that.
You strongly prefer static typing over dynamic languages, and use every opportunity to transform code that doesn’t use types into code that does. You generally prefer to use a minimal set of simple tools to a diverse range of complex ones.
You like to have a variety of projects - at this job, you’ll be developing a complex web app, a static site generator (react-static), building internal automation infrastructure/tools and contributing to our internal content management system.
We’re building a small, but super capable team. You’re naturally more interested in the fate of the product & driven to grow professionally than in managing people.
We value clear and honest communication and transparency, it’s the linchpin of our culture and current success and freedom. You will be involved in both high and low level decision making and will be available during European working hours (9AM - 6PM GMT).
We are looking for a missionary rather than a mercenary.
What’d be different here:
- We’re a small team. We’re optimising for impact, not for headcount. You’ll be carefully considering any tradeoff that would lead to increased complexity.
- We’re using a single programming language - TypeScript. We have strict linter rules. Every pull request needs to be approved before it lands in master. We use the rebase workflow.
- We’re using React + Redux to develop UI, on both mobile and the web. We use selectors extensively. Our backend is on AWS, deployed to Lambda.
- We’re doing things in a functional way, concentrating state, minimising side effects and making dependencies explicit. We’re sharing 98%+ of the code between Android, iOS and Web.
- We’re writing software with a web developer’s mindset.
- We automate where it has positive ROI.
- Our biggest challenge is (and will remain): managing the complexity of sharing a lot of code between different apps.
- We’re not building a hierarchy. We’re encouraging everyone to be autonomous.
Apply now and work remotely at Drops
Senior Frontend Engineer (Remote)
Hi! 👋 We’re searching for a Senior Frontend Engineer to join our engineering team at vidIQ.
We’re a diverse team from around the world on a mission to empower video creators to share their stories with everyone. Help us shape new products and deliver simple, valuable features to our awesome customers.
We’re a remote company and our team works from wherever they want. That means you must be self-motivated to succeed. If that sounds great to you and you’re interested in empowering video creators, keep reading!
You’ll be a good fit for this role if the following are true:
- You love building things. Frontend development is full of helpful tools, libraries, and patterns, and you enjoy using these to build products people will love. You like new challenges and strive to ship new features to customers on a regular basis.
- You love to learn. You enjoy keeping up with the latest trends in frontend space. If a project uses a framework that’s new to you, you dive into the docs and tutorials to figure it out.
- You act like an owner. When bugs appear, you document and fix them. When projects are too complex, you work with others to refine the scope until it’s something you believe can be built in a reasonable amount of time and maintained in the long run.
- You care about code quality. You believe simple is better and strive to write code that is easy to read and maintain. You consider edge cases and write tests to handle them. When you come across legacy code that is difficult to understand, you add comments or refactor it to make it easier for the next person.
- You understand balance. Great products must balance performance, customer value, code quality, dependencies, and so on. You know how to consider all of these concerns while keeping your focus on shipping things.
- You over-communicate by default. If a project is off-track, you bring it up proactively and suggest ways to simplify and get things going. You proactively share status updates without being asked and strive to keep things as honest and transparent as possible.
Note that we’re looking for someone with a minimum of 3 years of professional programming experience for this role.
As part of our growing Frontend Team, you’ll work with team members at all levels to improve our existing products and develop new ones.
The tools we use most heavily right now are React and Redux, though we still have Backbone and Flux in some of our codebases as well. We use Asana for project management, GitHub for code reviews, and Slack for daily communication. We also have a Rails API and consider it a major bonus if you have experience working on Rails applications.
Some projects you may work on include:
- Research and implement architectural changes such as migrating our browser extension to Redux.
- Help measure the effectiveness of certain features by building a reusable analytics module to use across our products.
- Improve our brand and usability by reskinning components according to our new design system.
- Make our products more reliable by writing integration tests to cover common user workflows.
- Simplify our API interactions by building a GraphQL layer.
- Level up the team by reviewing code and suggesting improvements.
Over time, you’ll become an owner of some areas of our codebase and have the freedom to improve them as you see fit.
We believe everyone has something to share with the world and we’ve been empowering video creators to tell their stories for more than 6 years. We want to be the best platform for video creators. Everything we do is to build trust with our customers and help them improve at their craft.
vidIQ is a small, remote team in many different time zones. We currently have team members stretching from California all the way to Kiev!
A few of the perks of working here include:
- A generous vacation policy. Take time away when you need it.
- A flexible work schedule. You decide which hours to work and we expect an average commitment of 40 hours per week.
- Support for professional development. If there’s a relevant course or conference you’re interested in, we’ll pay for it.
- Annual retreats! You can expect to travel once per year for a company gathering. (We visited Portugal together last year!)
How to apply
To save time and get to know you better, we ask a few questions as part of the application. Following that, our hiring process involves a phone conversation, a technical interview (no live coding, don’t worry!), and a short paid project.
When you apply, you’ll hear back from us even if we don’t think there’s a good fit. We know you’re putting effort into your application and feel that deserves respect.
Please note that the preferred time zone for this role is between UTC-5 and UTC+2, but we're willing to be flexible for the right person.
vidIQ does not work with recruiting agencies and strives to work with each candidate one-on-one through the hiring process. We will respect your time availability if you are currently employed.
vidIQ provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants, regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, or sexual orientation.
If you think you would thrive in this environment, we would love to hear from you. Please apply!
Apply now and work remotely at vidIQ
We are a data science & product development firm with a proven track record of excellence in supporting and growing the analytics ecosystem in Saudi Arabia. We are a trusted analytics partner for the largest organizations in the region.
About the job
We are looking for an experienced Front-end Developer who will be responsible for building the 'client-side' of our web applications. Your duties will include translating our product manager needs into functioning website & ensuring great user experience.
Apply now and work remotely at MOZNApply