Front-end Jobs nearSeattle, WA
Senior Ruby Engineer
As a Ruby engineer you would be joining our growing dev team centered around a Ruby on Rails monolith and React Native mobile applications. We are a well funded sports focussed company that deliver communications and payments solutions for grass roots sports clubs across Ireland and the UK. Our team is primarily based remotely with regular in-person team days under normal circumstances.
You'll be working with complex and secure data centric systems with challenges around scalability and robustness with a focus on Ruby backend development. You will also have exposure to the full stack including our React Native mobile applications and elements of our React frontend.
The company has experienced considerable growth and success in the last 18 months and this is a great time to join as we scale our team and shape our culture. There is a fully remote interview and onboarding process as well as the ability to meet the team in person if locations / restrictions allow.
- You have strong Ruby backend development experience. At least 5 years experience.
- Good web stack knowledge. We are using Heroku, Postgresql, Redis, Memcached, Algolia.
- You have a good understanding of Computer Science fundamentals such as Object Orientated Programming and good database structure.
- You enjoy technical challenges and problem solving.
- English mandatory.
Nice to have:
- Experience with React Native.
As a Senior Ruby Developer you will earn a competitive salary (to $75k) plus benefits including 28 days holiday.
Apply now and work remotely at ClubZap
At Powerpal we’re building Australia’s largest residential energy engagement platform. Our customers love us – they’re saving money on their bills and helping out with the climate crisis at the same time!
We’re full-stack from the batteries up. We design and manufacture our own IoT hardware which connects through our cross-platform mobile apps to a cutting edge cloud platform allowing us to build amazing customer experiences on top of huge volumes of data.
We build and maintain a React Native iOS/Android mobile app, a range of Go and Ruby microservice APIs running on Kubernetes, and a Bigtable/Bigquery/Dataflow big data platform – all hosted on on Google Cloud Platform.
We love clean code, automated testing, CI/CD and believe in a true devops workflow where the same team designs, builds, tests, deploys and monitors end-to-end products.
We’re a fully remote team with huge amounts of flexibility and autonomy to set your own schedule and drive your own projects. Ideally you’ll be based close to Sydney, Melbourne or Wollongong so that we can get the team together for a couple of days per month to socialise and share ideas.
A Typical Day
There are so many exciting projects to work on as the company accelerates that no two days are the same, but recently we have been mostly:
- Planning new features for customers with rooftop solar across the Powerpal hardware, mobile app and data platform.
- Building tools to support the rollout of tens of thousands of free Powerpals in Victoria with an amazing customer booking experience and geospatial logistics for our team of installers.
- Moving our terabyte scale time-series database from Postgres to Bigtable with zero downtime.
- Keeping in touch with the team over Slack and Friday afternoon Zoom beers.
- Optimising our cross-platform app to provide the best possible Bluetooth connectivity and background power management across a variety of mobile hardware.
- Ensuring that our cloud infrastructure autoscales and self-heals so that we can ignore it entirely when we’re on holiday.
- Working with our energy industry partners to launch load shifting and demand response experiences to reward customers for balancing their power usage throughout the day.
- Going to the beach on a sunny Wednesday without meetings and getting some quiet coding done on a rainy Sunday afternoon instead.
What You’ll Need
- Minimum of 3 years development experience across a range of projects, technologies and organisations across both iOS and Android.
- Ideally, you’ll have experience using our core stack (Go, Ruby, JS, Kubernetes).
- A previous lead role on a major end-to-end product delivering mobile, web and backend components.
- Significant experience building web-based APIs and their associated data stores (both SQL and NOSQL).
- At least one major project involving big data storage and asynchronous data processing.
- A demonstrated ability to work autonomously and take ownership of teams delivering end-to-end products.
- A background in deploying and owning cloud services (we use Google Cloud, but AWS or Azure will transfer perfectly).
What You’ll Get To Do
- Lead teams delivering user-facing projects with end-to-end features that touch the React Native mobile app, our backend APIs and our big data platform.
- Build a beautiful mobile user experience to help our customers see their power and use it improve their lifestyle.
- Build new tools to support manufacturing, rollout logistics and fleet management of tens of thousands of IoT devices.
- Take a leading role in driving our future mobile direction. Should we be considering dedicated native apps? Should we be using Typescript? How can we make our user experience even better?
- Integrate with our existing backend APIs and get involved in the design and development of new APIs to support the mobile app’s needs.
- Work on hard problems around scaling real-time data feeds with gigabytes of time-series data arriving every day.
- Share ownership of the whole Powerpal system and take responsibility for ensuring that the projects you work on can be deployed, monitored, and maintained without friction.
- Improve the quality of our existing codebases and expand our automated unit testing to include higher level end-to-end testing in multiple environments.
- Help to set the direction for a great developer experience from the laptop to the cloud as we scale our build, test and deployment processes to support a larger team.
- Up to $180k plus super (depending on your specific experience).
- Negotiable equity (options) in a profitable and rapidly growing startup.
- A new Macbook Pro or equivalent value in mobile devices and home office upgrades as necessary.
- A free Powerpal for your home
It doesn’t get better than this! Work at the cutting edge of development as part of this hands-on role whilst helping to drive the development strategy roadmap for an ambitious, growth phase tech start up. An industry leading salary and benefits package is on offer to the successful candidate. Apply now
Apply now and work remotely at Powerpal
Full Stack Engineer
We're looking for a curious Software Engineer to join our team! The position will include building great products, tackling interesting challenges, and contributing to our engineering culture. We expect you to work in pairs, use test-driven development, be experienced in building complex web applications, and write both clean and maintainable code.
WHAT YOU WILL WORK ON
We expect you to work on both Railsware products and solutions designed for our clients:
Mailtrap.io - our headliner in the world of safe email testing (with over 550,000 users)
Coupler.io - a tool for data import between different systems to build smooth data flows
Calendly - one of the most popular scheduling tools in the world
BrightBytes - a platform that empowers school-wide improvement through data-driven insights
OfficeSpace - a powerfully simple facility management software used by well-known companies in Silicon Valley and outside of it
We write Ruby and JS code a lot. Our codebases, however, are often polyglot, and we keep on experimenting with technologies like Elixir or GO in real production. Therefore, additional experience in other languages and frameworks is, of course, a plus.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Excellent general programming skills, ability to work with complex codebases
- Extensive knowledge of Ruby, Ruby on Rails, and its testing frameworks
- Practical experience in different DBs (e.g. RDBMS, Key Value / Tuple Store, Wide Column Store / Column Families, Document Store)
- Experience with cloud hosting providers (e.g. AWS, Google Cloud, Digital Ocean, Heroku)
- Comfortable with the UNIX/Linux command line
- Experience in test-driven development and pair programming (good to have)
- Comfortable taking the lead on projects and working without lots of oversight
- Good English (both written and spoken)
- End-to-end product development
- Write reusable and maintainable code
- Write tests to thoroughly validate the correctness of your code
- Actively contribute to the identification of problems and their solutions
- Collaborate in a cross-functional team to ensure the project meets business objectives and compliance standards
- Work in a flat-structured company
- Collaborate with us remotely from any location
- Flexible hours
- Get competitive compensation, yearly bonus, access to savings program and microcredits
- Thanks to our hardware policy, we use the best equipment and can regularly update it
- 34 days a year as a paid time off (24 standard days + 10 more to cover public holidays)
- Health policy budget will cover your private sports and healthcare expenses
- Participate in local and international conferences
- Every year we go for a 7-day company trip with our families.
Apply now and work remotely at Railsware
Jobs farther away
Senior Software Engineer, Full Stack
At Qualia, we are fundamentally transforming the way real estate professionals, lenders, and homebuyers manage real estate transactions, one of the nation’s largest industries. We are bringing together everyone involved in the closing process onto one shared, secure platform -- basically, we’re making buying a home in America easier, safer, cheaper, and less painful by moving the process online! Qualia was founded in 2015 by Forbes 30 Under 30 Award recipients Nate Baker, Joel Gottsegen and Lucas Hansen. The company is backed by top investors including 8VC, Bienville Capital, Menlo Ventures and Tiger Global and currently processes 20% of all US real estate transactions. Qualia is headquartered in San Francisco, CA and has offices in Austin, TX. Qualia was also named by CB Insights and Fast Company in their “50 Future Unicorns” spotlight for 2020.
We are hiring entrepreneurial engineers interested in being a part of our scaling engineering team. Our engineers are conscientious hackers who like teamwork but are also comfortable with independent projects. Our engineering team releases new software every week, moves at a fast pace, and works directly with our design and customer-facing teams to imagine and build the new experiences our customers love. Because of that, you’ll get a rewarding variety of projects to work on.
As a Senior Software Engineer, you've been in the industry for a while and have a proven track record of success. You are comfortable taking full responsibility for complex, high-liability projects. You have experience making key architectural decisions and performing the research to back up those decisions. You've dealt with the consequences of your mistakes, and know how to fight fires if necessary. You enjoy mentoring and providing support for less experienced developers. You've thrived in many different environments and realize that each team is unique.
YOUR DAY TO DAY
Your work will focus on building web technologies, both frontend and backend. You’ll work on improving and extending our core web applications, diverse software integrations, payment-processing systems, and other exciting new features.
Our engineers are generalists, and your responsibilities will be flexible based on company needs as well as your skills and interests.
YOUR BACKGROUND THAT LIKELY MAKES YOU A MATCH
We are looking for strong full-stack engineers with 5+ years of experience
We value engineers who have good product sense, attention to detail, and passion for the impact of the software they build.
You have made key architectural decisions for large projects.
You have mentored junior developers.
You have worked on multiple engineering teams, both small and large.
THE TECH STACK YOU'LL USE
Meteor / Semantic UI / MongoDB
Microservice architecture / Docker / AWS
Local copy of full production stack for development
GitHub for version control and pull requests
ABOUT OUR ENGINEERING TEAM
Our engineering team demonstrates and values technical thought leadership.
Qualia’s Head of Design, Jack Lukic, is the creator of Semantic UI, one of the most popular open-source design frameworks. Qualia engineers learn this framework, and design patterns more generally, directly from the creator of the framework our front end is built on! Very few companies can say that.
As part of our focus on continual learning and development, a Qualia team member gives an educational talk on something they’re interested in every Thursday to the entire engineering and product team. Topics range from Kolmogorov complexity theory to the definition of art, to models of existential risk.